cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Likely impact of auto refinance + opening 2 CCs?

tag
8bitmachinegun
Regular Contributor

Likely impact of auto refinance + opening 2 CCs?

About six months ago I got a secured CC in hopes of improving my credit enough to refinance my car. I succeeded in getting a payment almost $100 less a month, but I’m concerned about the impact it will have on my FICO score.

Additionally I also opened 2 CC accounts - a $500 CL with Cap1 and a surprisingly high $8K from AMEX. The HPs from all this activity have already hit, but the closing of the old auto account, new installment and CCs have not processed even though it’s been almost a month.

My EX and EQ scores are significantly higher than TU because TU aged some old AMEX accounts off, whereas the other two have not. If it makes a difference my file is pretty ‘thin.’
FICO8 - Aug 2020
FICO9 - Aug 2019
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Re: Likely impact of auto refinance + opening 2 CCs?

@8bitmachinegun wrote:
About six months ago I got a secured CC in hopes of improving my credit enough to refinance my car. I succeeded in getting a payment almost $100 less a month, but I’m concerned about the impact it will have on my FICO score.

Additionally I also opened 2 CC accounts - a $500 CL with Cap1 and a surprisingly high $8K from AMEX. The HPs from all this activity have already hit, but the closing of the old auto account, new installment and CCs have not processed even though it’s been almost a month.

My EX and EQ scores are significantly higher than TU because TU aged some old AMEX accounts off, whereas the other two have not. If it makes a difference my file is pretty ‘thin.’

I would need to know the original loan amounts of the 2 loans, and the last balance of the closed out loan.

I assume you're keeping your credit card balances very low or at zero.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 2 of 7
8bitmachinegun
Regular Contributor

Original loan - $29.7K
Orig. loan payoff - 27.4K
New loan - ~29K (gap insurance, fees, extras)

Currently my utilization is shown as 14%. That is $73 out of my old Total CL of $500. With the two new cards total CL will be $9000. I am using the AMEX for rewards and paying bi-weekly, so max balance should be about $800.
FICO8 - Aug 2020
FICO9 - Aug 2019
Message 3 of 7
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@8bitmachinegun wrote:
Original loan - $29.7K
Orig. loan payoff - 27.4K
New loan - ~29K (gap insurance, fees, extras)

Currently my utilization is shown as 14%. That is $73 out of my old Total CL of $500. With the two new cards total CL will be $9000. I am using the AMEX for rewards and paying bi-weekly, so max balance should be about $800.

Replacing the barely paid off loan with an unpaid off loan shouldn't have any noticeable impact on your scores.

Be sure to keep your reported balances very low, and for optimization have one report at zero.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree with SJ that the loan will have no impact on your scores from the Amounts Owed angle.  What you need to look at is your AoYA and AAoA drop from opening these 3 new accounts.

What was your AoYA before (currently, as the Fico algorithm isn't "seeing" any of these 3 new accounts yet)?  Your AoYA drops to 0 months when a new account hits your CR.

What was your AAoA before (currently) and what will it drop to if you factor in 3 brand new accounts?  The amount of that drop will impact your score drop.

In going from 1 to 3 cards, if you keep a reported balance on just 1 of them you'll be at 33% of accounts with a balance instead of 100% of accounts with a balance.  That could be good for around 10 points on your Fico 8 scores.  Also, if your current aggregate utilization is 14% at $500 in total limits and you're going to be going to $9k in total limits with the 2 new accounts, there's a good chance your aggregate utilization drops below the 8.9% threshold.  That being the case, you could scoop up another (say) 10-15 points.

So, it really comes down to your loss associate with the AoYA/AAoA drop/drops.  If that loss is greater than the points gained from the factors I mentioned above, you could see a net loss, but I wouldn't expect it to be great.

Message 5 of 7
8bitmachinegun
Regular Contributor

On TU my average age is 2 yrs, but in Experian it is 9-1/2 years. TU has been diligently pruning my old accounts, whereas Experian and Equifax have been more lenient about purging old (but positive) history. IIRC, average age in EQ is -5 years.

EDIT: Had to look up AoYA; I got my secured CC about 6 months ago, and all of the CRAs see it. Even though TU reports "No credit card activity" for some reason.

FICO8 - Aug 2020
FICO9 - Aug 2019
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

+1 to what BBS said.
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.