Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lowering Utilization and Smashing out of Debt

tag
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Re: Lowering Utilization and Smashing out of Debt

@Anonymous wrote:

Congratulations on your success so far! Remember those util thresholds AllZero posted above. For maximum benefit, you'd want to keep your aggregate utilization below 8.9%

In my experience there's a lot of ground to cover between 1% and 8.9% in aggregate utilization. In my profile the difference between 1% and 8.9% is probably worth 20-25 points.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 11 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@SouthJamaica WOW!!! 20-25 points??!! That is a lot! Is this with number of accounts with a balance remaining constant and individual revolving utilizations not crossing any thresholds?
Message 12 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

By the way what scorecard are you on? I’m sure you’ve got a clean profile and its obviously thick, what’s the age of your oldest account and your youngest revolver please?
Message 13 of 17
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
@SouthJamaicaWOW!!! 20-25 points??!! That is a lot! Is this with number of accounts with a balance remaining constant and individual revolving utilizations not crossing any thresholds?

Yes. But I'm just approximating based on several years experience. I've never measured it with any precision.

But it's just my profile; others may react less severely. During the period in which this occurred, my profile was notable for its 'newness' -- i.e. inquiries, new accounts, low AAoA, low age of newest account. Which is a primary reason I couldn't measure it precisely -- there was just too much going on. Also, during most of that period I didn't have the daily experian service, which is so helpful in getting an accurate reading.

Message 14 of 17
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
By the way what scorecard are you on? I’m sure you’ve got a clean profile and its obviously thick, what’s the age of your oldest account and your youngest revolver please?

My oldest account is 31 1/2 years.

Since I joined the MyFICO forums and caught the MyFICO forum bug, I can't remember my age of newest account ever being > 3 months Smiley Happy

My profile is immaculately clean.

And extremely thick. (Although without a mortgage).

Message 15 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

You have installments, so I don’t think the lack of a mortgage matters. That puts us in the same scorecard. Clean thick aged new account.

Where is this threshold? I may have to try it? I usually stay under 3% so that would explain why I haven’t noticed it.
Message 16 of 17
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
You have installments, so I don’t think the lack of a mortgage matters. That puts us in the same scorecard. Clean thick aged new account.

Where is this threshold? I may have to try it? I usually stay under 3% so that would explain why I haven’t noticed it.

My experience was that most times when my percentage went up or down a whole digit, the FICO 8 scores changed. I.e. there wasn't any single threshold in there.

But I do believe 6% means something.

Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.