Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lowering of credit score

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Lowering of credit score

Hi:

I just purchased all three (major credit reports)  and noticed that in all cases my scores were lower by 40 to 90 points. This despite the fact that nothing adverse has happened in my conditions and in fact, if anything, my credit reliance has lessened and my payments are always prompt (never late).

Can anyone tell me what is going on? Is it a matter of the world going upside down and the agencies now scoring on a stricter criteria or is it just another fantastic foul up? What can be done about this?

Regards

Message 1 of 16
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SCF
Valued Contributor

Re: Lowering of credit score

That is odd, when did the late payment appear on your reports?

Let's start here, on your reports on the second page it should list what's hurting and what's helping your FICO score, can you tell us what you have there for each?

Hopefully some other folks can chime in with some explanations too.

Message 4 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
SCF
Valued Contributor

Hey Kevork, and welcome to the forums!

To answer your last question first, no, FICO scoring itself has not become stricter, but the standards that lenders use (both in terms of requiring a higher score and other factors) certainly have due to the current economic situation.

As to what is going on with your scores, it's hard to tell from what you provided, so maybe you'll allow us some questions to get a little more detail.  First, where did you pull your scores?  Did both sets (the "base line" if you will and the latest ones) come from this site?  If not, you have one or more FAKOs, fake FICOS, that are not based on the true FICO scoring formula.  These scores are sold by the individual bureaus and do tend to react to events (or non-events) randomly.

If you did get your scores from here (or just to see) what changes have you seen in your report in terms of average age of accounts (open any new accounts lately? have an old closed account fall off after 10 years)?  In terms of utilization (had one card report a high balance this month on the statement, even if you paid it all off before the bill)?  Did you, this month, suddenly report a balance on ALL of your cards or NONE of your cards?  All of those chances can cause a decrease in score.  Finally, any collections, charge-offs or other derogatory reports will affect your score, no matter how small the amount.

Finally, just so you don't feel like all I left you with was the Spanish Inquisition, here's a couple of resources for you to help you understand where your score comes from and why it might change:  Credit Scoring 101 and the myFICO PDF Booklet

Hope that helps!

Message 2 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi SCF:

First, thanks for the response.

To get specific; I have a 40 year credit history and have taken great pains to keep a clean record and check my reports about twice a year. Over the years, I found errors and have corrected them-not a big deal. During the last four years there was one late pay reported (30 days) which I disputed.

In all this time my scores consistently improved even with the one reported late pay. In April of 2008 my scores were (T/U 788, Eq 739, Ex 825). When I ordered my reports in December the scores were (730, 703, 735) respectively. By the way I use "myFICO" exclusively.

I know that from time to time the relative value of the scores will go up and down but this is crazy. During this period the number of reported amounts and the outstandings themselves have lowered.

You should know that I was in the credit business (Business not Consumer credit) myself for many years and I will tell you that this defies all logic that I know when evaluating a credit rating.

I am anxious to get this sorted out, if for no other reason, these were the kind of scores I was getting ten years ago. Of course, as you are aware, these new scores put me in a lower tier and at my age I don't have the patience to explain to some young........that I should get the "most preferred rates".

If you can make some sense of this, I would be most grateful.

Kevork   

Message 3 of 16
SCF
Valued Contributor

That is odd, when did the late payment appear on your reports?

Let's start here, on your reports on the second page it should list what's hurting and what's helping your FICO score, can you tell us what you have there for each?

Hopefully some other folks can chime in with some explanations too.

Message 4 of 16
smallfry
Senior Contributor

Kevork assuming there are no other baddies on your reports I would check to make sure your average age of accounts matches up with the latest pulls you made. Check balances and number of accounts with balances. That seems as if something has radically changed. Go over the reports line by line.
Message 5 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

i just found out that transunion will drop out (ratio of your revolving balances to your credit limits)any credit line of 30k or more!!!!! This took 4 phone calls to fico(re transunion) and  three (3) supervisors at fico to explain why my utilization should not be 5%!!!!  ANSWER: they dropped out one line of credit (cc) because it was a 30K limit !!!! Also, i am now grouped in a differant bracket because i have a 30 year credit history. The latter sounds like age discrimination to me!!!  The former sounds like an FTC situation. Has anyone else ran into this?? Also, i have the complete names of all 3 supervisors at fico. I guess i should point out my 30k LINE HAS A -0- BAL.
Message 6 of 16
Junejer
Moderator Emeritus

Sorry about that kenbu. Yes, this conversation has been bantered about quite a bit on this forum. One remedy is to ask the lender to drop the CL to $29,000.

The bucket thing is commonplace. There are 12 buckets available. You are in the long credit history bucket. There is nothing discriminatory about that. It is a good thing. I wish I had that type of history, my scores would all be near 800.

Starting Score: 469
Current Score: 846
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 7 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

ByrdMan.....thanks for the input >>> Idid request a credit line change to$ 29.999!! I also thought at the time of adding the .99cents just to see what would happen!! You said this has been brought up before but i could never find any input  anywhere on the forums. Any way thank you for the input. Question: What happens if i were to use $5.00 or $50,00 or say $5,000 on that card.....do they than include this in rations?
Message 8 of 16
Junejer
Moderator Emeritus

If you use the LOC, it will be included once they get the $29,000 limit reported. Right now, at $30,000, it's being treated as an installment.

I will try to hunt down one or more of those threads for you. Give me a minute.

Starting Score: 469
Current Score: 846
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 9 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

ByrdMan: thanks again... i do remember their(fico) telling me it was treated as an installment! I guess i do not have any complaints as my scores are in the 800S except trasnunion  (793)!!!! My concern is for all those who have lower scores and are working so hard to bring their scores up.. The point is "if you do not know the rules you can never win the game" ! And in todays credit situation "How many other rules do i (AND OTHERS)not know exist in this credit game of scoring!! It very neatly works well (NOT KNOWING) for creditors , banks and all lenders but not the consumer!!!!!! Like i say you cannot play with viger unless you know  all the rules UPFRONT!!!! The more i think about it i will add the .99 cents just to see what happens.
Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.