cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MD State Tax Lien Released/Satisfied--AND NOW....Withdrawn!

tag
newmomnewme
Valued Contributor

MD State Tax Lien Released/Satisfied--AND NOW....Withdrawn!

The lien was filed based on a 2006 substitute for return filed by Maryland.  The lien was filed 6/2012, I didn't see it until 1/2013---gave birth to my son 6/2012. 

As soon as I saw it, I called them, filed a part-year resident return and had a balance of $88. $450 with interest and penalties; I paid it 7/2013 and they released it. 

The status has NOT changed on my CR!! If the status changes to paid/satisfied, will my score increase at all??? At least because it is so new???

Should I keep sending GW removal requests to the MD state department of taxation???  I am getting frustrated because the lien shows a balance of $3600! 

Please Advise...thanks in advance

UPDATE: Lien withdrawl form is on its way to my house right now!!! Yay!!---Now that should help my score; I won't check again until mid November.  

012019 Fico8/Mortgage Score:
Current Fico9/Fico8/Mortgage Score:
MyGoal Fico8/Mortgage Score:
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: MD State Tax Lien Released/Satisfied--Does it make any difference

No, it will have no affect on your score.

However, tax liens stay for 7 years from date paid so I would do what I could to get this taken care of.

Message 2 of 9
newmomnewme
Valued Contributor

Thanks! That is what I thought...I need for the status change to paid in order to qualify for a mortgage. 

Soooooo, if it is removed, will this help my score?? 

Message 3 of 9
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@newmomnewme wrote:

Thanks! That is what I thought...I need for the status change to paid in order to qualify for a mortgage. 

Soooooo, if it is removed, will this help my score?? 

If it's your only tax lien, maybe; if it's your only public record, typically.

I don't know if MD deletes the lien, I don't think they do once satisfied (sort of like my unfortunate Cali one).

        
Message 4 of 9
OhioCPA
Frequent Contributor

To get the lien reported as released you might need to file a copy of the lien release with the courthouse that is reporting the lien. Once filed, the lien can stay on your report for the next seven years. I have seen liens be removed simply by filing the release, especially if they are old.

________________________________________________________________________________
Message 5 of 9
newmomnewme
Valued Contributor

Thanks guys...sadly, the MD tax department faxed the release the day I paid....on the release it says it takes up to 30 days for the status to be updated! MD doesn't withdrawl tax liens unless they were filed in error. It is my only remaining lien on EX and TU*....but, not the only public record, I have a judgement that will be paid before 12/2013....trying to figure out who to pay and how to get it vacated. 

*I had a Federal Tax lien released then withdrawn and it gone from TU and EX; I just sent a copy of the withdrawl to EQ. 

Message 6 of 9
newmomnewme
Valued Contributor

See update

Message 7 of 9
JayFree
Established Member

Re: MD State Tax Lien Released/Satisfied--AND NOW....Withdrawn!

Congrats. I too had a Maryland tax lien released. How did you manage to get a withdrawal form.

Starting Score: EQ 530, TU 597, EX 530 01/01/2014
Current Score: EQ 530, TU 597, EX 530
Goal Score: 700+

Message 8 of 9
MortgageMinded
Frequent Contributor

I too just paid my MD State Tax lien and am waiting on release.   Can it still be withdrawn as stated in your title post?  If so, who do I have to contact to make this happen.

I am just getting started in cleaning up my credit and appreciate any suggestions.

UPDATE:  I did more searching on Maryland Tax Lien here on myFico forums and found the credit letter the member who wrote this post proposed to send to the Comptrollers office.  I am not sure it will work for me, but I plan on following up with them upon receipt of my release as well.  I am curious though how many points the score will go up if I get it released or withdrawn.

Thanks again for posting this thread, it gives me some hope!!!

Starting Score: Jan 2014 EQ: 595 TU: 575 EX: 550
Current Score: Feb 2015 EQ: 615 TU: 650 EX: 643
Goal Score: Hoping to join the 700 Club this year!

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.