Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mortgage Scores: accounts with Balances: 6/23/19 update

tag
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: LOL EX FICO 2 +1 gain, 6/18 -> 5/18 accounts with balance

TU 04 datapoint, I think this is clean since I didn't tick over 5 years AAOA, I'm in a derogatory scorecard so the new Citi DC that reported is a non-issue, and the accounts with reason codes not only dropped off but I got a big score shift.

4/2/19: 747   6/18 accounts with balances

1. You have a serious delinquency (60 days past due or greater) or derogatory indicator on your credit report.
  2. You have too many credit accounts with balances.
  3. You recently missed a payment or had a derogatory indicator reported on your credit report.
  4. You have a short credit history.

5/7/19:  767 (+20) 3/19 accounts with balances

1. You have a serious delinquency (60 days past due or greater) or derogatory indicator on your credit report. 
  2. You recently missed a payment or had a derogatory indicator reported on your credit report. 
  3. You have a short credit history. 

That's a whole mortgage tier.

Also note 3 reason codes: nothing about installment utilization at all , but it is on TU 4 Bankcard... which is a really interesting thing to me.

3. The remaining balance on your mortgage or non-mortgage installment loans is too high.

Also funny, a 767 puts me in the top shelf for conventional PMI even on a mortgage app... go me!  Didn't get anything back on the email response I made back to SpaceX so a small condo in Seattle isn't in the cards apparently but might make sense to pick up a small shack near a Caltrain station if I'm stuck in the Bay Area for work on a more regular basis.

        
Message 21 of 47
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

New account apparently resetting AOYA dropped me from 784 to 777.

Then today a second credit card reported:

3/19 to 4/19 accounts, 15.8% -> 21.1% 

EX FICO 2: 777 -> 770

Same magnitude change as previously, and the reason code for "accounts with balances" came back in the #4 slot.

        
Message 22 of 47
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

Same magnitude change as previously, and the reason code for "accounts with balances" came back in the #4 slot.

So it looks like 40% is a thing and 20% is a thing.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 23 of 47
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@Revelate wrote:

So it looks like 40% is a thing and 20% is a thing.

Yeah seems to be pretty reasonable.  I have one more account still to report (Amex revolver) once that lands I'm on 20% flat at 4 accounts with balances... not really inclined to open up another CC to test this frankly but eventually the auto loan gets paid (maybe sooner than later, I probably should just pool cash waiting for the market to fall through these trade things and then hop in with whatever I've got but meh, guarunteed 3.85%) at which point I can concretely test if it's 20% of all accounts or some other metric.

        
Message 24 of 47
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thoughts?

EX FICO 2: 0/15 -> 1/15 = 771 -> 783(Synch)
EX FICO 2: 1/15 -> 2/15 = 783 -> 779 (Synch +PSCU CU CC)
EX FICO 2: 2/15 -> 1/15 = 779 -> 783 (Synch)
EX FICO 2: 1/15 -> 2/15 = 783 -> 780 (Synch + Chase)
EX FICO 2: 2/15 -> 3/15 = 780 -> 780 (Synch+ 2 Chase)

And I get the "Accounts with a balance" reason code all the way down to and including 2/15. 13%!
Message 25 of 47
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

No open installment tradelines at all?

        
Message 26 of 47
Anonymous
Not applicable

not any open at EX, just closed. My open one only reports to EQ, so if at EQ, we'd be x/16.
Message 27 of 47
Anonymous
Not applicable

What are you thinking? 2/16=11.11%? We need SJ here, LOL!

Why the difference when one CC is CU?
Message 28 of 47
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:
What are you thinking? 2/16=11.11%? We need SJ here, LOL!

Why the difference when one CC is CU?

The working theory it is all accounts with balances, revolving and installment.

It might not be, hell it might be exactly one revolver numerically to all the old wisdom but I believe TT had that reason code at one revolver on EQ FICO 5.  Admittedly FICO 98 and FICO 04 models are absolutely different, and this might be one such element.  Also CU cards are weird under FICO 2 or under just Experian older models: my DCU at $500 is discounted as is my DCU HELOC... at this point for this calculation I'm only testing with bank cards that I know count.  I can't explain the 779 TBH unless it's just something funky.

Incidentally, identically as funky as your TU FICO 8 find with that retail card.

I may need to get out of this current new accounts / inquiries bit on Experian before I can get accounts with balances back on, it might just be sitting at #5 for me.  I really hope it's just explicitly one revolver with balance rather than all accounts, if not it's utterly absurd to optimize for.  Might be basically 11 months before I can really see on this particular algorithm unfortunately short of my CFA wandering away which I'm not expecting till 2022... gift that keeps on giving that one stupid account.

If I had better access to TU FICO 4 I could probably exactly tease it out as I only have 3 reason codes at my one revolver and two installment lines reporting out of 19 and accounts with balances is not one of them whereas it was before - by definition I passed the optimum breakpoint on that score; it's also the score that saw the strongest movement for me during this: 740 -> 767 from 6/18 to 3/19 between my two snapshots.  Not too hard to grab a snapshot of that score at 2 revolvers reporting, and then whenever my auto loan is paid (though I did buy the most recent market dips) I can get it exactly for that algorithm as to whether it's accounts or just revolvers, that would be handy.

At some level this is just intellectual distraction (or masturbation TBH) as it's absolutely 100% crystal clear that however many accounts you have, when it matters for a mortgage, get down to AZEO anyway and if nothing else that will be the most optimal configuration for your particular file... even if you're way above consumer norms when it comes to your total open accounts.

        
Message 29 of 47
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Revelate I remember you instructed me, FICO 8=revolvers; all previous=all accounts. (Working theory.) Yeah, I do have the one installment at EQ, but only at EQ. So this is down to 13% EX2 (2/15). If I had good EQ reason codes, we could go to 11% EQ5 (2/16). Like I said, we’ll need someone with a lot of cards to get much more granular.

You said 98 and 04 are totally different and this may be one difference. Are you referring to whether or not it is all revolvers or all accounts?

Yeah, CU products are wonky via FICO 98 for sure, that’s why I was trying to track down that one anomaly. For instance, that 1 point difference was with a CU CC, but it’s thru PSCU as payment processor, so we know it counts, although it appears there is still some sort of a difference weirdly enough. DCU uses whom as a payment processor? Yes, the TU 08 find is funky, can’t wait to see results with Macy’s.

I will be out of the new bucket in August, but I’ll be diving back in. Maybe I could grab a DP for ya beforehand?

Agreed, that’s crazy to optimize for. Gotta be what 10%? Maybe 8.9%? LOL!

Ok, So we can get TU 08 from MF and EX from CW…Is there anywhere else we can get negative reason codes?

Totally agreed , intellectual distraction/masturbation, LOL! You are dead on my friend!! But you’re having fun right?
Message 30 of 47
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.