Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mortgage score pulled for a personal loan

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Mortgage score pulled for a personal loan

I ordered an updated Experian FICO report this morning so I'd know exactly what my chances of applying for a personal loan would be.  My FICO Score8 was a 707, which I felt comfortable with.  I went to my bank, applied for an unsecured personal loan and was denied.  They are showing my score as a 648 today, which is a score that was listed under 'Commonly Used in Mortgage Lending'.  This wasn't a mortgage loan, this was for an unsecured personal loan.  If I had known that I would never have applied.  Why am I paying $40/month if this FICO score I'm obsessed with raising isn't even relevant???  Is this normal???

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
DollyLama
Established Contributor

Re: Mortgage score pulled for a personal loan

Did they use the middle score at that also? Did they only pull Experian? Do you have any idea what your other two scores are? Mine are 30 pts apart between two alone. 

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

The Experian FICO 2 (aka EX FICO 98) score is used for mortgages.  But that is not the only thing it can be used for.  It's simply a very old model, and your bank is apparently still using that very old model.

There are basically three flavors of FICO: Auto Enhanced, Bankcard Enhanced, and Classic.  Every 4-6 years a new family of models is released (with all three flavors).  The mortgage industry uses the Classic flavor, but from a very old era.  (The Experian score is the Classic from 1998 -- that model family is called FICO 98.   TU and EQ use the Classic from 2004 -- that model family is called FICO 04.)   If you go back in time just a little bit, FICO 98 Classic was used for lots of stuff.

It's a bad idea to try to assume in advance what model a lender will use.  You don't know what bureau they will use, or what flavor, or what model family.  For example, a bank might use the Auto flavor for a car loan, but it might also use Classic.  It might use the family from 2008 (FICO 8) but it might use FICO 9 or FICO 04 or even FICO 98.

Wells Fargo has been using the model family from 1998 for years.  Some lenders use the one from 2004.  More use FICO 8 (unless it is a mortgage).  And some are using FICO 9.

The good news is that you can ususally find out what bureau and model and flavor a lender will use, if you contact them before you apply.

The scores you you got from myFICO were all accurate -- but you just guessed wrong about what the lender would use.

PS.  Many people don't pay $40/month for that particular credit scoring tool.  You are right -- it is a lot of money.  There are free tools or ultra-low-cost tools out there that will get you your FICO 8 Classic and your reports, so some folks use those.

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

They pulled from Experian only but they used the FICO Score 2 which is supposed to be used for mortgage lending.  

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I specifically asked the lender which bureau they used and they told me Experian but when I asked which score version they were clueless.  My current scores have an 89 point difference between the highest and lowest with Experian.  I don't see how it's possible to know what your current score is until the lender pulls it.

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah, you are right that sometimes a customer service rep will not know the exact model and flavor that is being used.  That problem is much more common with a run of the mill CSR than with a loan officer.  So the first thing to do is before you ask, make sure that the person is a loan officer.

If the LO doesn't know, your next step is to ask (in a friendly way) if they can place you on hold while they are looking into it.  You don't mind waiting, but you'd really appreciate it if they could see if there is somebody there who does know.  Also fine if they research it and then give you a call back.  Always good to give them examples of what you might mean, e.g. phrases like Experian FICO Score 2, Experian FICO 8, etc.  and that they need to be sure this is what they'd use for this particular loan.

If getting the wrong info could be really upsetting, it's worth confirming what they say with another LO.

What you should never do is, if they say they don't know, decide that you do know.  There's a big chance you could be wrong.  In your case (a personal loan) you had a good chance of being right that it was the "Classic" flavor, but it might well have been the classic from FICO 98 (aka Experian Score 2), from FICO 04, or from FICO 9 -- all alternatives to your guess (which was FICO 8).

Another source of information is to start a thread in the General myFICO forum where you explain you are looking for a particular kind of loan.  Explain that these scores (W, X, Y, Z) are pretty good for you, but these other scores are bad (P, Q, R, etc.) -- can anyone suggest lenders that would be safe?  Then be sure to follow up with the lenders themselves and ask them as well.  There are hundreds of good lenders out there and it shouldn't be hard to find a good fit -- best bureau and model for you.

Again, that's just advice for the future.  Naturally it bites that you had a bad experience and I am sure everybody feels for you.

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for your advice, I will post in the forum and see where that gets me.  Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 8
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I specifically asked the lender which bureau they used and they told me Experian but when I asked which score version they were clueless.  My current scores have an 89 point difference between the highest and lowest with Experian.  I don't see how it's possible to know what your current score is until the lender pulls it.

Most of the people you speak with at lending institutions are not knowlegeable as to which scoring model their institution uses.

The best reason to pay $40 a month to MyFICO is to know all of the scores, not just FICO 8.

And yes many institutions use some of the alternative scoring models.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.