cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My AAoA stays low because of apping, will this ever be consequential?

tag
gen-specific
Frequent Contributor

My AAoA stays low because of apping, will this ever be consequential?

Hello, My AAoA stays low because I keep getting new accounts. Although I'm no longer closing old cards, it does sometimes happen or my current crop of cards is weighed down by newer cards.

I realize that an 850 credit score is nigh completely inconsequential. And that the myriad of scoring algorithms which are subject to change without notice, are also not worth being a perfectionist over. If I ignore the credit game for a long time, my score will drift upwards, at this point. I get it.

Anyway, utilization & no late payments are the biggest factors, and the score(s) are an after thought *** after a certain point ***, but low-mid 700s for reference.

So, will my average account age of 2.6years ever be a problem without derogatories?

I guess derogatories will be weighted less heavily if I had an older AAoA, so did I just answer my own question?

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
HiLine
Blogger

Re: My AAoA stays low because of apping, will this ever be consequential?

Problem for what? Financial review? Future credit card applications? Mortgage loans? 800 FICO? 

What are you concerned about? 

Message 2 of 11
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

If you're churning as long as you continue to get approved what does it matter?

Otherwise why are you continually applying for cards you presumably don't have a use for?  Anyone should be able to get rewards complete w/in 5 cards as an approximation of typical spending habits.

AAOA doesn't factor into payment history vis a vis derogatory marks, seperate part of the algorithm as we understand it.

        
Message 3 of 11
gen-specific
Frequent Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

Otherwise why are you continually applying for cards you presumably don't have a use for?  Anyone should be able to get rewards complete w/in 5 cards as an approximation of typical spending habits.

AAOA doesn't factor into payment history vis a vis derogatory marks, seperate part of the algorithm as we understand it.

I had been replacing cards I don't like with cards I do like. If they are at the same institution I had been transferring the credit limits to the new cards and possibly eventually closing the other one.

If I close some cards this then of course my AAoA will get lowered, but I haven't exactly made a pattern out of doing it. 

Otherwise when I apply I do have SOME intended use.

Message 4 of 11
NRB525
Super Contributor

@gen-specific wrote:

@Revelate wrote:

I had been replacing cards I don't like with cards I do like. If they are at the same institution I had been transferring the credit limits to the new cards and possibly eventually closing the other one.

If I close some cards this then of course my AAoA will get lowered, but I haven't exactly made a pattern out of doing it. 

Otherwise when I apply I do have SOME intended use.

I think AAoA is overrated. You have several cards at $30k or more. Those lenders don't hand out $30k cards as a "let's see how it goes" card. As long as you pay on time and keep usage reasonable there's no relevance to how new the cards are.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

how much of an affect does AAoA play when you apply for a mortgage? 

Message 6 of 11
HiLine
Blogger

You meant "effect".

AAoA only matters as far as FICO scores go. As long as you don't have an account opened within the last year, you should be fine.
Message 7 of 11
jhtrico1850
Regular Contributor

INstead of applying and closing old accounts, a lot of companies will let you "upgrade" or change the card.

Message 8 of 11
gen-specific
Frequent Contributor

@jhtrico1850 wrote:

INstead of applying and closing old accounts, a lot of companies will let you "upgrade" or change the card.

true

I've rarely done this at the same company though

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

With your credit lines i would not need more cards! 

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.