cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Equifax Score is 850

tag
Abby3

My Equifax Score is 850

I recently reviewed my credit score at Equifax and it shows that my score is 850. That is using FICO Score 8. Transunion and Experian are not far behind. With the various score versions, is this the most widely used score when applying for credit? If a bank pulled my score for home refinancing consideration and they looked up my FICO Score 5 - would these scores be different? Many thanks.
Message 1 of 40
39 REPLIES 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: My Equifax Score is 850

Yes, they'd likely be different. But at your score level the difference won't be enough to matter.

Message 2 of 40
Abby3

Thank you - I appreciate the feedback.
Message 3 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

Great score!! Cant wait til I'm there. On my way!!!

Message 4 of 40
Abby3

Thank you for the kind words - I am close to reaching 850 at all three bureaus. I am still waiting for the bells and whistles. Good luck to you.
Message 5 of 40
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Congrats Abby!

HEy quick question if you wouldn't mind sharing a bit of your profile, when was your most recent account established?  We had some discussion recently suggesting you couldn't get an 850 with an account open in the past two years so figured I'd ask Smiley Happy.

Actually if you wouldn't mind sharing the rest of your stats (number of tradelines, current balance vs current limit on the credit cards, age of the accounts too) it might be helpful for understanding more about the profiles which max out the scorecard.

        
Message 6 of 40
EW800
Valued Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

Congrats Abby!

HEy quick question if you wouldn't mind sharing a bit of your profile, when was your most recent account established?  We had some discussion recently suggesting you couldn't get an 850 with an account open in the past two years so figured I'd ask Smiley Happy.

Actually if you wouldn't mind sharing the rest of your stats (number of tradelines, current balance vs current limit on the credit cards, age of the accounts too) it might be helpful for understanding more about the profiles which max out the scorecard.

I agree!  This could be very helpful information for us!  

Year 2012: All Scores in the 520 range, during a foreclosure, CC Settlement and high UTIL. Very ugly days...
April 2024: EX8: 840; EQ8: 832; TU8: 842 -- Middle Mortgage Score: 822
In My Wallet: Discover $73.7K; Cap1 Venture $51.7K; Amex ED $38K; Amex Optima $2.5K; Amex Delta Gold $18K; Citi Costco $24.5K; Cap1 Plat $8.4K; Barclay $7K; Chase Amazon $6K; BoA Plat $21.6K; Citi TY Pref $22K; US Bank $4K; Dell $5K; Care Credit $6.5K. Total Revolving CL: $300K+
My UTIL: Less than 1% - Only allow about $20 a month to report, on one account. .
Message 7 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Abby3 wrote:
I recently reviewed my credit score at Equifax and it shows that my score is 850. That is using FICO Score 8. Transunion and Experian are not far behind. With the various score versions, is this the most widely used score when applying for credit? If a bank pulled my score for home refinancing consideration and they looked up my FICO Score 5 - would these scores be different? Many thanks.

A-W-E-S-O-M-E  Smiley Very Happy

Message 8 of 40
Abby3

Thank you, Revelate. My last account was established in 2012. I don't have a strategy on how I have obtained high scores. I attempted to locate my current balance vs credit limit - must be searching in the wrong spot or maybe that is something I would have to calculate myself. I am a novice to FICO forum. My credit history was established 18 years ago. It shows that I have 23 revolving accounts and 1 mortgage- even with many accounts I only use 3 cards. AMEX is my most used card - paying the balance off every month; I will rotate my Visa/Mc; will leave a running balance for 3 to 4 months - paying 1/3 of the balance - once I pay it off I will rotate to another to keep them active; I use a Dept store card - again splitting the balance over a couple of months and then paying it in full - so my available credit is high but usage is low. I believe the key is to show variation in use if credit; I also take advantage of interest free promotions - I will request a new line and pay off the balance during the promotional period rather than just paying cash; my credit hasn't always been stellar - when I was a college student I remember getting calls from collection agencies - but that is a time when fringe benefits like medical insurance at my job didn't matter and credit wasn't something I thought was important. For a long time my score was unmoving in the upper 700s - when I refinanced to a 15 year mortgage and made my last student loan payment my score hit the 800 mark. I apply for credit selectively. I only beam about my score when the car salesman said my score was the highest he had seen and the mortgage broker said you don't get any higher when he pulled my scores for refinancing. I guess it's a personal challenge because the points I would pay would be the same if my score was 775. The advice I can offer is to vary your credit sources, be selective when you apply for credit and always pay your bills on time - pay above the minimum - it lowers your debt ratio. Find a mate with stellar credit - regardless of what the experts - the exceptional credit will eventually help your score. You'll get there - just be patient. Good luck.
Message 9 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Abby3 wrote:
Thank you, Revelate. My last account was established in 2012. I don't have a strategy on how I have obtained high scores. I attempted to locate my current balance vs credit limit - must be searching in the wrong spot or maybe that is something I would have to calculate myself. I am a novice to FICO forum. My credit history was established 18 years ago. It shows that I have 23 revolving accounts and 1 mortgage- even with many accounts I only use 3 cards. AMEX is my most used card - paying the balance off every month; I will rotate my Visa/Mc; will leave a running balance for 3 to 4 months - paying 1/3 of the balance - once I pay it off I will rotate to another to keep them active; I use a Dept store card - again splitting the balance over a couple of months and then paying it in full - so my available credit is high but usage is low. I believe the key is to show variation in use if credit; I also take advantage of interest free promotions - I will request a new line and pay off the balance during the promotional period rather than just paying cash; my credit hasn't always been stellar - when I was a college student I remember getting calls from collection agencies - but that is a time when fringe benefits like medical insurance at my job didn't matter and credit wasn't something I thought was important. For a long time my score was unmoving in the upper 700s - when I refinanced to a 15 year mortgage and made my last student loan payment my score hit the 800 mark. I apply for credit selectively. I only beam about my score when the car salesman said my score was the highest he had seen and the mortgage broker said you don't get any higher when he pulled my scores for refinancing. I guess it's a personal challenge because the points I would pay would be the same if my score was 775. The advice I can offer is to vary your credit sources, be selective when you apply for credit and always pay your bills on time - pay above the minimum - it lowers your debt ratio. Find a mate with stellar credit - regardless of what the experts - the exceptional credit will eventually help your score. You'll get there - just be patient. Good luck.

I have done the same thing & decided to switch it up.  I'm now only letting one cc report and low UT.  I thought it was the best way to get there.  Maybe I should go back to your way?  Very, very interesting.  And thanks so much for sharing! Smiley Wink

Message 10 of 40
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.