cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My score dropped and I don't know why...

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

My score dropped and I don't know why...

So my scores were

OCT 22: 

EXPERIAN: 577

Equifax: 556

TRANSUNION: 719

On OCT 28:

EXP: 586 (I don't know the others yet, have to wait to refresh)

TODAY OCT 30:

EXP: 572

It went down 16 points. Why? My notifications said a new address was added to my report. which is correct. and also that a credit card (my brand new unsecured Opensky i just got, was added to Transunion. SO that decreased my score? Makes no sense. 

Ugh!!!

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: My score dropped and I don't know why...

What were the age of your youngest account (AoYA) and age of average accounts (AAoA) before OpenSky was added to your report?
Message 2 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

It was 3.7 years. I wonder what it is now...

Message 3 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

What is 3.7, AAoA or AoYA? and where did you get the # 3.7?

How many accounts did you have before OpenSky? Include open and closed accounts, CC and installment loans.

Message 4 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

OP, it's pretty standard to see a score drop from adding a new account.  Which bureau did the inquiry land on associated with the new account?  As OM also suggested above, 2 out of 3 of your age of accounts factors drop any time a new account lands on your CR, both of which can impact your scores.

Out of curiosity, why is your one score significantly higher than your other 2?  I'm thinking that you must have negative items present on 2 out of 3 of your CRs?

Message 5 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

the reason my fico score is so high on trans unioin is because nothing negative is reported on there. this is not the case on the vantage score with transunion. it's somewhere in the 500's. I have no idea why this is. 

average age: 3 years. 5 months. 

oldest account: 6 years. 9 month.s  

as of today. by the way! my score is back up only two days after it went down by 16 points. now it's 589. no idea why!

Message 6 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

TransUnion data is TU data and the same data would be used to generate a FICO score or a VS score.  If your report is clean for your TU FICO score, your TU VS 3.0 score is also using the same clean data.  If that score is 100+ points lower that's fine, as no lender is going to ever use that score for a lending decision.  My point here and just to clarify is that there's no way that your VS 3.0 score is going to be generated using dirty file data and your FICO score generated using clean file data if both of them are using the data from your TU report.  The data would be identical.

Message 7 of 16
Thomas_Thumb
Senior Contributor

Actually it is not all that unusual to have a clean file according to one model and a dirty one according to another. A few examples include:

1) Your profile is dirty if you have a $200 paid collection on Fico 8 but, clean on Fico 9.

- Profile dirty on Fico 04 and Fico 98

2) Your file is clean if you have an unpaid $50 collection on Fico 8 but may not be clean on Fico 9

- Profile dirty on Fico 04 and Fico 98

3) VantageScore and Fico 04/Fico 98 always consider AU accounts.Fico 8 and Fico 9 may not include these accounts. It is possible an AU derogatory may be impacting VantageScore but not Fico 8.

4) VantageScore may look at rental payment history, Fico 8 does not. Perhaps late payments impact Vantagescore.

Fico 9: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 8: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 4 .....:. EQ 809 TU 823 EX 830 EX Fico 98: 842
Fico 8 BC:. EQ 892 TU 900 EX 900
Fico 8 AU:. EQ 887 TU 897 EX 899
Fico 4 BC:. EQ 826 TU 858, EX Fico 98 BC: 870
Fico 4 AU:. EQ 831 TU 872, EX Fico 98 AU: 861
VS 3.0:...... EQ 835 TU 835 EX 835
CBIS: ........EQ LN Auto 940 EQ LN Home 870 TU Auto 902 TU Home 950
Message 8 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

TT, I think it's important to recognize however that the data itself is the same regardless of the scoring algorithm being used.  The same data is used, but it may be interpreted differently for asterisk type examples that you gave above depending on the algorithm that the data is being put through.

While the OP didn't really state what his negative information was, he said something like his TU FICO report doesn't have negatives from one source but his VS report (TU) does.  That language I suppose just doesn't work for me, as data is data and the "report" isn't actually changing.

Message 9 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

To clarify. the AU accounts were just added not more than 2 months ago. BofA and AMEX. and the third credit card is my own brand new secured CC. These are all in excellent standing. since my BF never pays late and his score is over 815, this is affecting my score very well. Today, just 3 days later, my experian went up to 597 now. i have NO idea why. it keeps jumping. only once in the last 7 days it went down once, and THREE times it jumped up. I don't know the other scores since i have another 15 days until i get to pull my credit again. Also, at this point i am not even checking my credit score on creditcarma, but it's in the 560's or so now. It was 444 2 months ago. 

my experian mortgage score is now 570!!!

My bad items include, late payments on my car. many of them, and closed accounts of collections (that i paid off) and some open collections (2?). nothing else. 

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.