cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My score hasn't improved significantly?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: My score hasn't improved significantly?

@Grafton88 wrote:

I added a car lease and one more CC.  My scores dropped 20-30 points with those 2 new accounts.  The reason was that I added 5 more INQs and dropped my AAoA from 10 months to 7 months.  To get those points back I will go into the garden.  I will be pro-active by being inactive.

While I agree with the general points you were making, there are two things that you stated here that aren't accurate.  If you added 1 car lease and 1 CC the most you could have added was 2 inquiries [with respect to FICO scoring], not 5.  If in getting the car lease they did multiple inquiries it still only counts as 1; it doesn't matter if they did 1, 3, 10+ any time you get multiple inquiries at the same time from a dealership rate-checking for you it is viewed under FICO scoring as a single inquiry.  Also, an AAoA change from 10 months to 7 months I don't believe crosses any threshold, so FICO scoring wouldn't see an AAoA change there and you wouldn't lose any points because of it.  I know 1 year is a threshold and perhaps 6 months, but not in between.  

Your score dropped for a couple of reasons.  One, you received 2 inquiries.  Especially if they were on the same bureau, this could play a big role in a score drop on a very thin or new file, which judging from your AAoA you may possess.  Two, you added an installment loan which is at or near 100% of it's original balance.  Until you get to below 70% of the original balance on that loan, you won't see a score increase from that installment loan.  Finally, the simple addition of new accounts can temporarily impact your score.   

Message 11 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Diary, I was where you are 2 years ago.  I had no credit and we wanted to buy a house.  I got 3 credit cards which really boosted my score.  I stopped at that point so it didn't hurt when we applied for a mortgage.  I went on an app spree after we closed (last August).  I saw scores climbing.  I stopped applying.  Accounts have to age and inquiries have age.  Once your available credit line hits $100k, you will stop gaining any possible scoring points for new accounts (according to tips I received on my credit factors reports) Two months just isn't enough to see scores climb.  Credit is a marathon, not a sprint.

You are shooting yourself in the foot by wanting to apply for more cc's. Think 3 steps forward and 2 steps back.  When I stopped applying, let the inquiries age off and let my credit history grow, my scores really climbed.  TU is my clean report.  I went from barely 600 to 780 in under 2 years.  In March, the small medical collection on my other 2 will come off.  I expect all 3 scores will be in line with TU.  

Patience is the key.  You have built your foundation.  Let the rest build for 7 or 8 more months and you will see the difference in your scores that you are hoping for.

Message 12 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

She's already said in the other thread of hers that got locked that she's a credit card collector and has no intentions of stopping on apps.

Message 13 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.