cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need some advice to improve my credit score.

tag
kraigching

Need some advice to improve my credit score.

I recently checked my credit score on the credit karma, The TransUnion score is 742, Equifax score is 752, and Experian score is 665 now. I just wondering why the Experian score is very far away from both TransUnion and Equifax. I have 0 inquiries, 0 public records, total open accounts 2, total closed accounts 9 (these are federal student loan accounts), total collection accounts 0, and total accounts 11. I think might be these student loan accounts affect my credit score, but who knows. I also have a Paid settlement by the bank of America in 2019, and I already paid off all of the money. Is it possible to dispute paid settlement and total closed accounts 9 (these are federal student loan accounts) recorded from my credit report and increase my credit score?

7 REPLIES 7
TheKid2
Frequent Contributor

Re: Need some advice to improve my credit score.

Welcome to the forums!

CK use VS 3 and gives EQ and TU. It depends where you get your EX score as to what they use. FICO versus VS are apples and oranges, no lender is going to use the scores from Credit Karma (VS), they will at FICO, mostly version 8 or 9.

Start by going to annual credit reports and pull all your reports. Look through them for accuracy. Do NOT dispute anything that is not accurate as it could backfire on you.

If you're really interested in all your credit scores that matter, pull a 3B here at MyFICO and you will see all the scores that the lenders use. Credit Karma is really just for entertainment, tracking alerts for changes, and checking posted dates for each account so you know when they report each month.

JOINED 4/2020

FICO 8 = 582, 620, 589 / Mortgage = 633, 526, 581

CURRENT PEAK *Thanks to the MF Community!

FICO 8 = 715, 711, 720 / Mortgage = 688, 696, 681

Message 2 of 8
kraigching

Thanks, I appreciate the info for credit education, and I just realized the CK is elementary school, and I would like the pull a 3B at myfico, so do I have to choose the Basic plan 19.95 is ok or advanced? thank you~

Message 3 of 8
disdreamin
Valued Contributor

@kraigching wrote:

Thanks, I appreciate the info for credit education, and I just realized the CK is elementary school, and I would like the pull a 3B at myfico, so do I have to choose the Basic plan 19.95 is ok or advanced? thank you~

I wouldn't spend the money to pull scores here until I'd gone through my free reports to check for accuracy. Once you're sure everything is as it should be, then you might spring for FICO scores, just to know where you stand. I'd check to see if you have access to true FICO scores through other sources before paying for them here, though.

Message 4 of 8
kraigching

Thank you so much for your advice, and I will do some research to check my free annual credit report. 

Message 5 of 8
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@TheKid2 wrote:

Welcome to the forums!

CK use VS 3 and gives EQ and TU. It depends where you get your EX score as to what they use. FICO versus VS are apples and oranges, no lender is going to use the scores from Credit Karma (VS), they will at FICO, mostly version 8 or 9.

Start by going to annual credit reports and pull all your reports. Look through them for accuracy. Do NOT dispute anything that is accurate as it could backfire on you.

If you're really interested in all your credit scores that matter, pull a 3B here at MyFICO and you will see all the scores that the lenders use. Credit Karma is really just for entertainment, tracking alerts for changes, and checking posted dates for each account so you know when they report each month.

Fixed. Smiley Wink

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 6 of 8
TheKid2
Frequent Contributor

@OmarGB9 wrote:

@TheKid2 wrote:

Welcome to the forums!

Start by going to annual credit reports and pull all your reports. Look through them for accuracy. Do NOT dispute anything that is accurate as it could backfire on you.

Fixed. Smiley Wink

I'm a dope! Thanks for fixing that! Smiley Tongue

JOINED 4/2020

FICO 8 = 582, 620, 589 / Mortgage = 633, 526, 581

CURRENT PEAK *Thanks to the MF Community!

FICO 8 = 715, 711, 720 / Mortgage = 688, 696, 681

Message 7 of 8
DSTforlife
Regular Contributor

first, check annualcreditreport.com to see if everything is correct. 

then, instead of paying for myfico, go to credit.com and pull all of your FICO scores using their free trial, then cancel before the trial period ends.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.