cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New account added to my credit report but no FICO change

tag
DraconTesla

New account added to my credit report but no FICO change

I was expecting my crediit score to change one way or the other when I recently added a credit card. I got denied when I first applied for the Barclays card through this site but after calling the reconsideration line they approved me for a 250 dollar credit card. Is it common to get an alert from FICO without getting a update on your number?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
EW800
Valued Contributor

Re: New account added to my credit report but no FICO change

You will likely get responses from some far more knowledgeable than I am, however I will share that depending on your profile, adding an account does not necessarily mean that there will be a score change one direction or another.   As an example, I added a Barclay account last month.  I took a 1 point hit to TU for the INQ (710 to 709), however when the account added to my profile, it does not appear that I had any score change at all.  I am an AAoA of about 12 years and a pretty thick file so that may be a factor as well.  

Year 2012: All Scores in the 520 range, during a foreclosure, CC Settlement and high UTIL. Very ugly days...
April 2024: EX8: 839; EQ8: 845; TU8: 842 -- Middle Mortgage Score: 822
In My Wallet: Discover $73.7K; Cap1 Venture $51.7K; Amex ED $38K; Amex Optima $2.5K; Amex Delta Gold $18K; Citi Costco $24.5K; Cap1 Plat $8.4K; Barclay $7K; Chase Amazon $6K; BoA Plat $21.6K; Citi TY Pref $22K; US Bank $4K; Dell $5K; Care Credit $6.5K. Total Revolving CL: $300K+
My UTIL: Less than 1% - Only allow about $20 a month to report, on one account. .
Message 2 of 6
DraconTesla

interesting thanks for the reply. I am excited about when my car loan reports. Paid off a big chunk and I am hoping that that raises my score a little. Then I will sit back and just try to get my limit raised on the Barclays card so I can actually use it for automatic bill payment ($250 dollar limit is all they approved). That and getting my Secured RBFCU card turned into an unsecured card

Message 3 of 6
user5387
Valued Contributor

@DraconTesla wrote:

I was expecting my crediit score to change one way or the other when I recently added a credit card. I got denied when I first applied for the Barclays card through this site but after calling the reconsideration line they approved me for a 250 dollar credit card. Is it common to get an alert from FICO without getting a update on your number?

In these kinds of situations, you have be careful to check that the inquiry and new account are actually reporting, and that your score reflects the updated report.

There are often reporting and score updating lags.

Message 4 of 6
DraconTesla

It shows up on my FICO alert but it does not show the credit limit yet so it might be partially reporting or something. Just starting paying attention to my credit score so not exactly sure when everything reports.

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Shot in the dark... but possibly the CL was not enough to create a score change in relation to your total available credit and utilization.
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.