Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New accounts & point recovery?

tag
Doodlebug30
Established Contributor

New accounts & point recovery?

I have 4 accounts opened in the last 12 months. 2 of those accounts will turn 1 year old by mid-end of November 2020. My question is, how much, if any, of a point recovery should i see for new accounts aging? I know, no one can accurately predict and it depends on your file but i was just looking for a round about guess. But for the purpose of this exercise, here are my DPs

7 cc's - agg UTIL 13% (will be less next month)

1 installment (SL) 

1 card has 55% util but will be under 50 by Nov. (0% promo on a couch)

AAOA 6.3 years (per experian report) 

INQ 5 or less on each bureau and most will be 1+ year old after november. 

Just curious and looking for peoples opinions!

9 REPLIES 9
Ficoproblems247
Valued Contributor

Re: New accounts & point recovery?

If referring to new account scoring penalty, it will only be regained after the most recently opened account crosses the 1 year threshold, and I believe that one is only on a clean scorecard if that is where you fall. Those other accounts crossing the 1 year mark will only give you gains if they trigger AAoA thresholds when they age past a year. Others will probably chime in with a more detailed explaination. Smiley Happy

FICO 8 Sep '23 EX 755 EQ 765 TU 739
TCL $199,800
Message 2 of 10
Doodlebug30
Established Contributor

@Ficoproblems247 thank you!

Message 3 of 10
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Doodlebug30 wrote:

I have 4 accounts opened in the last 12 months. 2 of those accounts will turn 1 year old by mid-end of November 2020. My question is, how much, if any, of a point recovery should i see for new accounts aging? I know, no one can accurately predict and it depends on your file but i was just looking for a round about guess. But for the purpose of this exercise, here are my DPs

1 installment (SL) 

I'm not aware of any awards for aging a few months.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've heard some people suggest thresholds at either 3 months or 6 months AoYA, but I did not experience anything measurable at either of those points on my file.  I didn't see anything until AoYA reached 12 months.

Message 5 of 10
NoHardLimits
Established Contributor

With my most recent new account, I found no improvement in scores at the 3, 6, or 9 month marks.  I expect to recover some points at the 1 year mark.

April 2024 Scorecard: Clean, Thick, Mature, NO New Revolver
FICO8:
VantageScore3:
Inquiries (n/12, n/24):
AAoA: 11 yrs | AoORA: 36 yrs | AoYRA: 12 mos | New Accounts: 0/6, 0/12, 2/24 | Util: 1% | DTI: 1%
Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I've heard some people suggest thresholds at either 3 months or 6 months AoYA, but I did not experience anything measurable at either of those points on my file.  I didn't see anything until AoYA reached 12 months.

Some of that was due to my 2 reports at AoYA 3mo and 1st report at AoYA 6. Some really big gains.

At each threshold I saw 'Short revolving credit history' move down one spot in the reasons.

When I switched scorecards at 2yr 0mo AoOA, it was reset back to #2, and then went down a spot just as before.

The changes in reason statements and score gains at AoYA 3mo, 6mo, and 9mo seem confined to young credit profiles.

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Doodlebug30 wrote:

I have 4 accounts opened in the last 12 months. 2 of those accounts will turn 1 year old by mid-end of November 2020.

If there are score gains due to aging, you'll see them on November 1st. FICO uses 1st of the month in which you opened an account.

You won't have to wait until the exact opening date in November.

Message 8 of 10
Doodlebug30
Established Contributor

Thanks! Good to know!

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Doodlebug30 wrote:

1 installment (SL) 

@Doodlebug30 assuming you're in a clean card, when your youngest revolver ages to 12 months,  you will see a boost on 8s.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.