cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New blog article: What Should My Credit Utilization Ratio Be?

tag
Elizabeth_FICO
myFICO Employee

New blog article: What Should My Credit Utilization Ratio Be?

Hello everyone! If there's a new blog article that I think you guys might like I plan on posting it in the Forums.

This week's article is: What Should My Credit Utilization Ratio Be?

Let me know what you think about the article.

For more content don't forget to check out our blog.

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Re: New blog article: What Should My Credit Utilization Ratio Be?

@Elizabeth_FICO wrote:

Hello everyone! If there's a new blog article that I think you guys might like I plan on posting it in the Forums.

This week's article is: What Should My Credit Utilization Ratio Be?

Let me know what you think about the article.

For more content don't forget to check out our blog.

Thanks Elizabeth. This article supports what I have been saying for awhile, which is that there are no known magic thresholds for aggregate revolving utilization, and the 30% threshold which is often bandied about is a myth.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 2 of 10
NRB525
Super Contributor

Yes, a good outline of utilization knowledge. 

While there are no hard tiers for utilization where FICO scores make a step change, there are significant gains in score to be had by lowering utilization from very high levels. 

"However, the data doesn't support the implication that your credit score will dip once your utilization ratio crosses the 30% threshold." Actually, the score will be dipping as utilization moves through and beyond 30%.

The 30% recommendation has merit, because people need a useful target to aim for. If someone is at 80% to 90% on one or more cards ( younger me ) then setting a goal of 2% utilization for those cards is going to seem impossible. Target 30%, and the cardholder has a more realistic chance of getting there, and will see significant improvement in scores along the way. Manual review of cards also needs to be considered, for mortgage or auto loans, and 30% looks better than maxed out for those applications as well. 

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 3 of 10
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@NRB525 wrote:

While there are no hard tiers for utilization where FICO scores make a step change, there are significant gains in score to be had by lowering utilization from very high levels. 

"However, the data doesn't support the implication that your credit score will dip once your utilization ratio crosses the 30% threshold." Actually, the score will be dipping as utilization moves through and beyond 30%.

The 30% recommendation has merit, because people need a useful target to aim for. If someone is at 80% to 90% on one or more cards ( younger me ) then setting a goal of 2% utilization for those cards is going to seem impossible. Target 30%, and the cardholder has a more realistic chance of getting there, and will see significant improvement in scores along the way. Manual review of cards also needs to be considered, for mortgage or auto loans, and 30% looks better than maxed out for those applications as well. 

When I'm at 30% I'm losing about 90 points in my FICO 8, so I personally don't find that to be a very good target at which to aim.

Message 4 of 10
sznthescore
Established Contributor

Good article by Ben Luthi. Utilization is like the extra credit to on-time payments. It's consistency and/or stabilization at or below 30% over a period of time, is key to obtaining an optimized credit score. 

REBUILDER CARDS

Goal: FICO 700+
Message 5 of 10
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@sznthescore wrote:

Good article by Ben Luthi. Utilization like the is the extra credit to on-time payments. It's consistency and/or stabilization at or below 30% over a period of time, is key to obtaining an optimized credit score. 

The article does not say that; it says the opposite. It says that the 30% guideline is NOT meaningful.

Message 6 of 10
sznthescore
Established Contributor

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@sznthescore wrote:

Good article by Ben Luthi. Utilization like the is the extra credit to on-time payments. It's consistency and/or stabilization at or below 30% over a period of time, is key to obtaining an optimized credit score. 

The article does not say that; it says the opposite. It says that the 30% guideline is NOT meaningful.

I think @Elizabeth_FICO asked what did I/We think about the article NOT what it said. @NRB525 basically summed it all up as everyones profile data my react differently to certain utilization thresholds.  No where in the article did I see that the 30% guideline is NOT meaningful. Bottom line.... the lower the utilization the better. Consistently and over a period of time as I previously stated. 

REBUILDER CARDS

Goal: FICO 700+
Message 7 of 10
NRB525
Super Contributor

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@NRB525 wrote:

When I'm at 30% I'm losing about 90 points in my FICO 8, so I personally don't find that to be a very good target at which to aim.

Are you consistently below 30% individual card utilization?
The context of my point was if someone is at 80% to 90% individual utilization on potentially multiple cards. 

If one or more cards are at 80%, what is the effect on your FICO 8?

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 8 of 10
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@NRB525 wrote:

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@NRB525 wrote:

Are you consistently below 30% individual card utilization?
The context of my point was if someone is at 80% to 90% individual utilization on potentially multiple cards. 

If one or more cards are at 80%, what is the effect on your FICO 8?

You're talking about oranges (aggregate revolving utilization) and apples (individual account utilization).

Below 30% is a significant threshold in individual utilization, but of no special significance in aggregate utilization.

Message 9 of 10
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@sznthescore wrote:

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@sznthescore wrote:

I think @Elizabeth_FICO asked what did I/We think about the article NOT what it said. @NRB525 basically summed it all up as everyones profile data my react differently to certain utilization thresholds.  No where in the article did I see that the 30% guideline is NOT meaningful. Bottom line.... the lower the utilization the better. Consistently and over a period of time as I previously stated. 

He said "Some financial experts recommend keeping your credit utilization ratio below 30%. However, the data doesn't support the implication that your credit score will dip once your utilization ratio crosses the 30% threshold."

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.