Did you mean: 

No Credit History - Need Recommendations

tag
GatorGuy
Valued Contributor

Re: No Credit History - Need Recommendations

@disdreamin wrote:

@GatorGuy wrote:

Becoming an AU on the Amex will drop your average age of accounts more. 

Also, Amex may not like the fact that you are spending 4 to 5x what the primary cardholder is spending so may get you and your brother in trouble. Especially if you are at different addresses.

Can this really be an issue? My AU's on my BCP regularly spend multiples of what I do in a given month and I've not heard a peep from AmEx about it. I'm planning on apping for a Gold or Platinum card in the near future, and I'll move the AU's to that card one I get it, but will that truly be a problem?

@disdreamin Amex can be a very finicky company. The things that can irk them and cause an account closure is long. I have seen reports where the AU is spending a lot more than the primary and is not a spouse and caused a closure. They seem to be more sensitive when you are not related or not at the same address. Of course these things are profile dependent so it doesn't mean that everyone who does this will have the same outcome. But it is certainly something to be mindful of and know the possible consequences. 

Message 11 of 12
disdreamin
Valued Contributor

Re: No Credit History - Need Recommendations

@GatorGuy wrote:

@disdreamin Amex can be a very finicky company. The things that can irk them and cause an account closure is long. I have seen reports where the AU is spending a lot more than the primary and is not a spouse and caused a closure. They seem to be more sensitive when you are not related or not at the same address. Of course these things are profile dependent so it doesn't mean that everyone who does this will have the same outcome. But it is certainly something to be mindful of and know the possible consequences. 

Ah, gotcha. The AU's are related and currently we all share an address, although that may change if the college-aged one opts for off-campus housing and moves there year-round. I've been with AmEx since...well, lets just say a reeeeally long time...so I'm not too worried about irking them.

Message 12 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.