Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Old collection reappears with New Agency -Huge Point Drop in Fico 4 and 2

tag
SusieQ954
Established Member

Old collection reappears with New Agency -Huge Point Drop in Fico 4 and 2

I was on my way to getting to the 700 threshold on all 3 bureaus for my Fico 8's (and the concurrent increase in my Fico 5,4,2 as well), when a collection that had dropped off (due to being sold off by the agency who held it at the time) back in September, came back to haunt me by being added back by a new agency to my TU, and EX reports about 3 weeks ago. This collection ($8,777 for an auto loan) isn't due to drop off permanently until November 2022. This subsequently dropped my TU FICO 8 by 13 points, and my EX Fico 8 by 17 points. There is one additional collection for $1,222 on both these reports scheduled to age off by this coming July. The bigger hit though, happened with my TU Fico 4 (-23 points) and EX Fico 2 (-35 points). Now part of the score drop I can attribute to having a balance show up on 3 of my 4 bankcards (close to the credit limit on 2 of the 3) due to my misjudgment of the closing date of the statement because of it being "February!"", so I paid the full balances one day after the statement actually cut off and what was reported to the agencies. All those are paid now, and I am back to AZEO for this month, but I am still wondering what impact that "returning collection" will ultimately have on those scores as it was hard for me to tease out the effect of the high balance/credit limit faux pas, versus the reappearance of the collection. Theoretically I will need to wait another month now to cycle through the closing dates on the card accounts to get my Fico report to assess the AZEO balances effect (I guess I could pay for a mid-cycle report after the closing date of all those accounts if I am really dying to know). I have an FHA mortgage for a new build that has conditional approval (credit pulled back in July 2020) based on a 662 MMS, and it's been taking so long to build the darn thing that they are waiting to within 60 days of closing (likely September closing, so July) to pull the credit again, so I definitely have time to get myself back up (did manage to get the MMS up to 683 before this debacle) from what is now a 651 MMS (worse than when I was approved). 

So be all end all, how much effect does this reappearing 6 year-old collection have on my scores? It was accounted for originally in my scores they pulled last year. If the account is that old, shouldn't  a reappearance of the same old collection with a new agency not have the same impact as a completely new collection, or does the scoring model not even take that into account? And I would have been much better off had the agency who gave up on it never done so and they just kept trying to collect instead of selling it off?

Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.