Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oldest account hits 3 yrs scores drops up to 22 points

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Oldest account hits 3 yrs scores drops up to 22 points

When my oldest account turned 3 years I saw a similar drop and was told it was due to re-bucketing. I'm curious to see what the effect will be when it turns 4 years next month.... 

Message 21 of 159
trusty
Frequent Contributor

Rebucketing, and losing points, would indicate that, consumer habits are less than ideal, compared with other consumers in that bucket.

So, it seems to me like it's possible that recently obtaining a mortgage can cause one's scores to drop, once they are moved up the the big leagues, as it were.

Once the mortgage reports for a year, I'd gather that you would regain those points.

But, I'm just spitballing, here. There could be something else being overlooked.
Message 22 of 159
Anonymous
Not applicable

That would suggest though that the presence of a mortgage is a factor in scorecard assignment, which it is not.

Message 23 of 159
NRB525
Super Contributor

It also would require a new mortgage to be on a delay timer of 5 to 6 months before the effect is added to the score.

I am looking forward to the listing of all accounts from the OP.
High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 24 of 159
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

While I'm definitely in agreement on checking the reports, being rebucketed isn't outside of the realm of possibility.

I think we're all pretty sold on the fact that age of oldest is a scorecard segmentation metric, and somewhere in there you transition out of the new / thin file score card to the mature credit report scorecards, I just would've figured it would've been prior to that.

That might explain the somewhat freakishly high 1-2 year timelines on FICO 8 for new files, it'd be an interesting experiment to run if I had a new file to play with for perhaps longer than the "how long to 800 does it really take?" that I was originally amused by.  Not sure I have that kind of patience really haha, but the fact that it happened to both you and your wife and presumably the mortgage is the only shared account (?) from your description, it certainly points to your shifting scorecards.

Do you get real reason codes from CCT or your other services?  That'd be worth a look but FICO 8 reason codes suck across the industry in terms of how many you get so you might not get much.  

        
Message 25 of 159
Drwaz99
Established Contributor

Sorry to resurrect this older thread (mods if you'd like a new thread just move it or let me know and I will), but I wanted to add a DP: My Oldest account just turned 3 yrs old overnight and I lost 8 pts on my EX. I have another 8 days until I can pull the EQ and TU on my EX free trial. There were no other changes to my report. No new balances, INQ, no balances paid off, no new accounts, and I have no derogs. My reason codes all stayed the same (short account history is the only neg listed). I would second that it's possible I've lost the points because I've been re-bucketed.

Message 26 of 159
LittleSal
Frequent Contributor

Three year AoOA must be a rough one. I took a 20 point hit!
Message 27 of 159
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wow! I'm glad you resurrected this. Everyone wants to know the segmentation threshold for AooA. So now we have 4 people confirmed that had downward score shift upon AoOA hitting 3 years, and most importantly, these are all clean DPs where there were no other changes going on to interfere with the scoring.

What I would love, is if all of you would please give your before and after negative reason codes, please, and all your before and after scores, please.
Message 28 of 159
Drwaz99
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Wow! I'm glad you resurrected this. Everyone wants to know the segmentation threshold for AooA. So now we have 4 people confirmed that had downward score shift upon AoOA hitting 3 years, and most importantly, these are all clean DPs where there were no other changes going on to interfere with the scoring.

What I would love, is if all of you would please give your before and after negative reason codes, please, and all your before and after scores, please.

(This is just EX. My EXCW trial is up on the 8th and I'll re-upgrade and pull all three when I can.)

Before and after negative reason codes didn't change for me: Short account history. Went from 769 to 761.

Message 29 of 159
Anonymous
Not applicable

Drwaz99 Thank you for contributing the DP’s. That seems to contradict scorecard reassignment that there was no shift in negative reason codes. Hmmm...Yes please update us when you get all the new information.

And if you have EX CW, could you check all the other scores as well and give us those DP’s, too, please.

Hope to hear from any other members in this situation, as well as the ones above. Most grateful!
Message 30 of 159
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.