cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oldest card clocks 3yrs and Fico8 score drops 22 points. can some pls explain why???

tag
Credit_Flavours
Regular Contributor

Oldest card clocks 3yrs and Fico8 score drops 22 points. can some pls explain why???

Hey, there lovely folks. Can someone pls make sense of this for me?

My oldest card which is my BOA cash rewards card turned 3 today and my EX fico8 drops from 782 to 760. Ex fico 8 bankcard drops 24points from 801 to 777 and auto score dropped 25 points from 779 to 754.  As a matter of fact, DW's travel rewards card also turned 3 and she lost 14points as well, from 728 to 714 everything else stayed the same on her profile except the ageing.

In my case, overall utilization dropped to around 0.3% (balance of $510 on the total limit of $145k) and I was hoping to see a score bump as the recent activity had already been reported by EQ and TU and they both showed a sizeable increase as I paid off my Penfed card with a $1218 balance and the balance on my other BOA card dropped from 620 to $500, but surprise surprise, I see this massive drop and I run through the report to see if any negatives appeared out of the blue but nothing. As clean as ever. The only change is the ageing that occurred today.

Please tell me there's some hidden logic I am missing here.

Message 1 of 37
36 REPLIES 36
Credit_Flavours
Regular Contributor

Re: Oldest card clocks 3yrs and Fico8 score drops 22 points. can some pls explain why???

Plot thickens. Just pulled the 3 bureaus through Experian credit works and I actually lost 22 points on the 2 other CRA's Fico8 as well. Please, someone, needs to help me understand this. Also, TU vantage score 3.0 through Wallethub increased by 11points this morning. Really confused right now.

Message 2 of 37
TheKid2
Frequent Contributor

Re: Oldest card clocks 3yrs and Fico8 score drops 22 points. can some pls explain why???

What were your FICO reason codes before the change and what are the FICO reason codes on the last 3B? Maybe that can help you determine what the algos are seeing as different.

JOINED 4/2020

FICO 8 = 582, 620, 589 / Mortgage = 633, 526, 581

CURRENT PEAK *Thanks to the MF Community!

FICO 8 = 715, 711, 720 / Mortgage = 688, 696, 681

Message 3 of 37
Credit_Flavours
Regular Contributor

Decided to take a screengrab of the reason codes from yesterday and today. Maybe there is something hidden in there.

Screen Shot 2020-07-01 at 9.18.23 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-07-01 at 9.16.57 AM.png

Message 4 of 37
TheKid2
Frequent Contributor

ugh only 1 code. Shaking fist at FICO. If you have a myFICO sub, the most negative reason codes seem to come from the alert on a TU score change. credit to @Anonymous  for that.

EDIT: You did see a change on the positive codes. Maybe you got reclassified into a different scorecard or segment?

JOINED 4/2020

FICO 8 = 582, 620, 589 / Mortgage = 633, 526, 581

CURRENT PEAK *Thanks to the MF Community!

FICO 8 = 715, 711, 720 / Mortgage = 688, 696, 681

Message 5 of 37
thornback
Senior Contributor

Read this thread -  particularly the section on Scorecards and how AoOA is used for segmentation on clean profiles.  The fact you lost points on all 3 bureaus after your AoOA ticked over 3 years leads me to believe you've been assigned to a new scorecard ('rebucketed')

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Understanding-FICO-Scoring/General-Scoring-Primer-and-Version-8-Mas...

Personal Aphorism:"Forget What You Feel, Remember What You Deserve"
Starting FICO 8s | 09/2017: EX 641 ✦ EQ 634 ✦ TU 647
Current FICO 8s | 04/2022: EX 796 ✦ EQ 793 ✦ TU 790
Current FICO 9s | 04/2022: EX 790 ✦ EQ 788 ✦ TU 782
2022 Goal Score | 800s

My AAoA:
4.6 years not incl. AU / 4.9 years incl. AU
My AoOA: 9.2 years not incl. AU / 11.2 years incl. AU
Inquiries: EX 0/12 ✦ EQ 0/12 ✦ TU 0/12
Report Status: Clean
Garden Status:  

Without patience, we will learn less in life. We will see less. We will feel less. We will hear less. Ironically, rush and more usually mean less.
Message 6 of 37
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Credit_Flavours wrote:

My oldest card which is my BOA cash rewards card turned 3 today and my EX fico8 drops from 782 to 760. Ex fico 8 bankcard drops 24points from 801 to 777 and auto score dropped 25 points from 779 to 754.  As a matter of fact, DW's travel rewards card also turned 3 and she lost 14points as well, from 728 to 714 everything else stayed the same on her profile except the ageing.

In my case, overall utilization dropped to around 0.3% (balance of $510 on the total limit of $145k) and I was hoping to see a score bump as the recent activity had already been reported by EQ and TU and they both showed a sizeable increase as I paid off my Penfed card with a $1218 balance and the balance on my other BOA card dropped from 620 to $500, but surprise surprise, I see this massive drop and I run through the report to see if any negatives appeared out of the blue but nothing. As clean as ever. The only change is the ageing that occurred today.

While it is theoretically possible that it was caused by a change in scorecard, I seriously doubt it.

You need to compare the report from the day of the new score with the report from the day before, line by line.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 7 of 37
Credit_Flavours
Regular Contributor

Totally makes sense. Guess I will have to read up some more on the different scorecards and see if I can isolate the best practices for my present segment.

In the immediate, I will try paying off my Chase AU card that presently has a $5 balance reporting. I always get a 15-19 points boost on Fico8 when 1 AU card reports a balance. Maybe that is now a negative in this new segment. Will report back in a week or two.

Thanks a lot for your responses. Really appreciate it.

Message 8 of 37
Credit_Flavours
Regular Contributor

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@Credit_Flavours wrote:

While it is theoretically possible that it was caused by a change in scorecard, I seriously doubt it.

You need to compare the report from the day of the new score with the report from the day before, line by line.

@SouthJamaica I will go over it again but for the umpteenth time. Out of paranoia, i actually pulled the reports from annualcreditreports.com to see all the SP and any hidden negatives that Creditworks or Trueidentity were not throwing up but nothing changed from the report i pulled 4 days ago from the same site. Only the age of the oldest account and by extension AAoA, changed.

Message 9 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

So the age of the oldest account is a revolver?

You can save yourself the time the AU account will react the same.

Can you give us your negative reason codes from score 8 variants (before and after)? And were your mortgage scores affected?

Message 10 of 37
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.