cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Opened One Credit, Score dropped MASSIVELY!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Opened One Credit, Score dropped MASSIVELY!

For 5 years, I had a Wells Fargo credit that was around $3,000. I didn't like the bank, so I paid everything and opened a Chase Credit card that gave me $10,000. My FICO Score was in 820s, the next month I checked the score, it had dropped to 741! 80 points drop. I only applied for one credit from one bank, not any others. I also always have been paying multiple times a month, vertually no late payments.

Things that had changed:

1. Having the Wells Fargo credit still open, but not actually using it.

2. Having a larger amout of credit, but not using as much. For Instance, I was probably using 60% of the $3,000 before, now I use 20% of the $13,000.

3. Simply opening a new line of credit. 

4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Opened One Credit, Score dropped MASSIVELY!

A few questions:

*  When was the last time you used your Wells Fargo card?

*  Where were you getting the credit score from, the one that dropped?

*  When did that score drop?

*  When did you open the Chase card?

*  Have you pulled your reports lately?  (not scores, but reports.)  If so, is the WF card still listed as open?  Where did you get the report from?

*  Aside from the Wells Fargo and Chase cards, do you have any others?

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

OP, I can assure you that your FICO score didn't drop 80 points from the opening of an account.  Something else happened/changed. 

You also used the phrase "virtually no late payments" which isn't NO late payments.  This suggests the presence of negative information, which can damage a score worse than any other scoring factor.  It would be helpful to know what late payments you have (severity and age) on your report. 

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm betting its a Vantage Score 3.0 score....  they seem to "revert to the mean" when you open additional accounts. 

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@AnonymousI'm betting its a Vantage Score 3.0 score....  they seem to "revert to the mean" when you open additional accounts. 

He did say "FICO" in the original post, unless he was using that term loosely simply to mean "score" when in fact it wasn't a FICO score.  Hopefully the OP stops back in an references the source of his scores.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.