Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Opening new credit cards to improve credit score

tag
tparvaiz
Contributor

Opening new credit cards to improve credit score

Hi,

I have a single credit card with very low limits and most of the credit reporting agencies and forums are calling it "Not good enough" to improve my credit score.

Q1. How can I get a credit card or 2 with minimum impact to my credit history? I am open to other alternatives as well, please suggest how to improve my credit scores

Q2. given my credit score is in low 600s, who would appove my credit application

Thanks

Message 1 of 108
107 REPLIES 107
Girlzilla88
Valued Contributor

Re: Opening new credit cards to improve credit score

Low 600s are not nearly as bad as you may think you can always look up who checks what someone that pulls from one CB may help more than one that does a double pull on all 3 CB's but you can also look into a small secured loan with your bank to help too Smiley Happy    Do you have an auto loan or home loan anything other than a Credit card?!

Message 2 of 108
Anonymous
Not applicable

List any other accounts/collections/marks on your report?

OpenSky will give you CC with no HP

Self will give you CC with no HP if you open up credit builder loan with them with at least $100 paid off the loan.

Message 3 of 108
RSX
Valued Contributor

check prequal for Discover and Cap1

i would get one of them if prequal'd. then wait 4-6 months before checking for the other one

i like to space things out. 

Dec 16/2019. EX. 721. EQ. 723. TU 746
Jan 25/2024 EX. 774 EQ. 751 TU 758
Inq. EX 2 EQ 3 TU 6 - - CC 2x24, 0x12
Amex BCP $35k - Apple GS $21k - BMW/Elan $19k - Cap1 QS $16.7k - Chase Amazon $13.6k - Chase Bonvoy Bountiful $10k - Chase United Club Infinite $26k - Citi CustomCash $3k - Citi DC $14.5k - CreditUnion1 $9k - DiscoverIT $31.5k - PayBoo - $15.6k - Penfed Gold - $19.3k - USB AltitudeGO -$19k- USBank Cash+ -$25k - PenFed LOC - $20k - USB LOC - $15k
Message 4 of 108
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Lol. Basically all of the cards in my siggy were got with scores below 641. I have another 6 or 7 I haven't put in there.

Message 5 of 108
tparvaiz
Contributor

I have just one CC ($500) and one unpaid health care collections account (open in Oct 2018) that I am trying to negotiate for PFD.

My high score is in 700 and the rest 2 in low 600s

Thanks

Message 6 of 108
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

@tparvaiz wrote:

Hi,

I have a single credit card with very low limits and most of the credit reporting agencies and forums are calling it "Not good enough" to improve my credit score.

Q1. How can I get a credit card or 2 with minimum impact to my credit history? I am open to other alternatives as well, please suggest how to improve my credit scores

Q2. given my credit score is in low 600s, who would appove my credit application

Thanks

You can try OpenSky Secured Credit Card.  Or you can apply for Secured Credit Card with SDFCU or Affinity FCU in NJ. They all do not do credit check or hard inq on your credit. SDFCU might graduate after 12 months to regular credit card. There might be several other cards that do not check credit of pull a hard inq on your report.

Message 7 of 108
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@tparvaiz wrote:

I have just one CC ($500) and one unpaid health care collections account (open in Oct 2018) that I am trying to negotiate for PFD.

My high score is in 700 and the rest 2 in low 600s

Thanks

Where are you getting your scores?  If those are FICO 8 scores, which bureau has the 700?  That's quite a difference and we may be able to point you in the right direction.

Message 8 of 108
tparvaiz
Contributor

I got these fico from my fico.com under credit card section

thanks

Message 9 of 108
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@tparvaiz wrote:

I got these fico from my fico.com under credit card section

thanks

Which bureau's are your Highest/ lowest score?, so others can give you better guidance.

Message 10 of 108
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.