Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Optimal ? My question is>

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Optimal ? My question is>

In relation to Credit cards: Optimal utilization being between 1% and 4%. What If I kept it under 1% and above 0% at all times?

Will it hurt?

Will it help?

Will it make no difference?            

ALSO:

Same question as above in relation to checking account overdraft protection?

Will it hurt?

Will it help?

Thank you in advance.                                  

Message Edited by AllTheNationsWillMournUSA on 11-04-2007 09:55 AM
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
smallfry
Senior Contributor

Re: Optimal ? My question is>

I don't think anyone knows for certain the answer to your 1-9 or under 1 utilization on CC debt. Checking accounts don't count. BTW your name and siggy are quite depressing.
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

No one knows about this question?

Unfortunately reality can be depressing.
Message 3 of 10
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

It would take someone with otherwise unchanging credit who would be willing to let the 1-9% post, note the scores, then let under 1% post and again note any score change. Not to mention the option of having 0% post. Maybe you could volunteer to do this, and post the results.

That's the only way that we can figure out a lot of things around here. It's the original scientific method, I suppose.

Message Edited by haulingthescoreup on 11-04-2007 10:00 AM
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 4 of 10
smallfry
Senior Contributor

The irony is what difference does your FICO score mean if we face TSHF scenario? Party on Garth. Smiley Wink
Message 5 of 10
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

Fico does like to see "recent activity" on cards.  I am guessing that means that one card at least needs to report a balance every time FICO "looks" at your CRA.

Add to that, it is wise to use every card at least once a year, to stop the company making it dormant (and if you reactivate it, they might well do a hard pull).
The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 6 of 10
fused
Moderator Emeritus

AllTheNationsWillMournUSA wrote:
In relation to Credit cards: Optimal utilization being between 1% and 4%. What If I kept it under 1% and above 0% at all times?

Will it hurt?

Will it help?

ALSO:

Same question as above in relation to checking account overdraft protection?

Will it hurt?

Will it help?

Thank you in advance.                                  

Message Edited by AllTheNationsWillMournUSA on 11-03-2007 03:38 AM

Message Edited by AllTheNationsWillMournUSA on 11-03-2007 04:20 AM

You might see max FICO points with regard to revolving util% calculations but it really depends on your scores and which scoring bucket you're in. As for overdraft protection, it's usually reported as a revolving TL so treat it the same way you would with a CC TL and keep util at zero or no higher than 9%. 
Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

My monthy cc's expenses have me under 1% and I have no other expenses I can add on them to bring it to 1% - 4%.So unless I waste money and "make up" expences to add on to the cc's to bring it to 1%-4%( and thats not an option) I will need to lower my credit  limits. Will lowering my credit limits hurt my score? Thats why I was asking and hoping that optimal utlz. IS BETWEEN .0000001% - 4% and NOT BETWEEN 1% - 4%. Im pretty sure lowering my limits will HURT my score because it will affect my past history high utlz.  Right now, My high utlz. history is at 25% ,lowering my limits to reach stated goals will easily bring it over 50% high history utiz. So I might be powerless to do anything about it.

Message Edited by AllTheNationsWillMournUSA on 11-04-2007 09:30 AM
Message 8 of 10
smallfry
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
My monthy cc's expenses have me under 1% and I have no other expenses I can add on them to bring it to 1% - 4%.So unless I waste money and "make up" expences to add on to the cc's to bring it to 1%-4%( and thats not an option) I will need to lower my credit limits. Will lowering my credit limits hurt my score? Thats why I was asking and hoping that optimal utlz. IS BETWEEN .0000001% - 4% and NOT BETWEEN 1% - 4%. Im pretty sure lowering my limits will HURT my score because it will affect my past history high utlz. Right now, My high utlz. history is at 25% ,lowering my limits to reach stated goals will easily bring it over 50% high history utiz. So I might be powerless to do anything about it.

Message Edited by AllTheNationsWillMournUSA on 11-04-2007 09:30 AM

Leave it the way it is you should be OK.
Message 9 of 10
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

AllTheNationsWillMournUSA wrote:
My monthy cc's expenses have me under 1% and I have no other expenses I can add on them to bring it to 1% - 4%.

If your mortgage/rent, food, gas, auto, clothes and entetainment come to less than 1% of your credit limit, then presumably your CL is so high that I don't think it matters!  Smiley Happy
The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.