cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our Forums' FICO High Achievers: Who has at least one FICO Score of 760 or above?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Our Forums' FICO High Achievers: Who has at least one FICO Score of 760 or above?

Now i envy you, do you mind to share how to break through 800+ with just cc/revolving account?

Message 1121 of 2,020
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Our Forums' FICO High Achievers: Who has at least one FICO Score of 760 or above?

DO you mind to share how did you maDe it over 800+? Is this solely based on credit card only?

Message 1122 of 2,020
Thomas_Thumb
Senior Contributor

Perfect payment history, low utilization and high average account age are what did it for me. Presence of installment loan (mortgage) history and a relatively low current balance to loan ratio (under 50%) likely play a role as well.

I have had at least one mortgage on file for over 20 years so I don't know personally what the upper limit is for a "cards only" score.

My guess is reaching scores above 820 likely requires some type of open or closed installment on file such as: student loan, car loan, personal loan or mortgage.

Consider a small personal loan - even $500 to improve your mix.

Fico 9: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 8: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 4 .....:. EQ 809 TU 823 EX 830 EX Fico 98: 842
Fico 8 BC:. EQ 892 TU 900 EX 900
Fico 8 AU:. EQ 887 TU 897 EX 899
Fico 4 BC:. EQ 826 TU 858, EX Fico 98 BC: 870
Fico 4 AU:. EQ 831 TU 872, EX Fico 98 AU: 861
VS 3.0:...... EQ 835 TU 835 EX 835
CBIS: ........EQ LN Auto 940 EQ LN Home 870 TU Auto 902 TU Home 950
Message 1123 of 2,020
Anonymous
Not applicable

Apologize due to many similat post. I tried to quote and ask questions by other posters, looks like mobile version unable to quote. I have asked mod to remove those posts. Apologizes.

Message 1124 of 2,020
Ubuntu
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Now i envy you, do you mind to share how to break through 800+ with just cc/revolving account?

I'm around 820 at all bureaus with only CCs. Two are Amex charge cards and 4 are credit cards. I was actually at 850 / 847 / 849 with only 4 accounts before I opened the two most recent accounts in March (one CC, one charge). Based on my minimal 6 trade line profile I would say the main things needed to hit 800 with only CCs are a perfect or near perfect payment history and low UTIL with a long credit history and /or a lengthy AAoA. Basically use credit sparingly, always pay on time, and then patience, patience, patience.

As far as card usage goes when I had 4 accounts I had to allow only 1 to report each month to maintain my maximum scores. 2 reporting caused drops and 0 reporting caused large drops.  After moving to 6 accounts 1,2, or 3 reporting have no affect but 0 reporting still causes an unpleasant drop.

I've also noticed with one of my Amex cards, which I do have a recurring monthly payment on, it sometimes doesn't report for a few months and then when it does report again I get dinged for 5 or 6 points but they come back in a month or two (usually one).

Message 1125 of 2,020
Thomas_Thumb
Senior Contributor

@Ubuntu wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm around 820 at all bureaus with only CCs. Two are Amex charge cards and 4 are credit cards. I was actually at 850 / 847 / 849 with only 4 accounts before I opened the two most recent accounts in March (one CC, one charge). Based on my minimal 6 trade line profile I would say the main things needed to hit 800 with only CCs are a perfect or near perfect payment history and low UTIL with a long credit history and a lengthy AAoA. Basically use credit sparingly, always pay on time, and then patience, patience, patience.

As far as card usage goes when I had 4 accounts I had to allow only 1 to report each month to maintain my maximum scores. 2 reporting caused drops and 0 reporting caused large drops.  After moving to 6 accounts 1,2, or 3 reporting have no affect but 0 reporting still causes an unpleasant drop.

I've also noticed with one of my Amex cards, which I do have a recurring monthly payment on, it sometimes doesn't report for a few months and then when it does report again I get dinged for 5 or 6 points but they come back in a month or two (usually one).

It appears you are saying you have no installment loans of any type open or closed in your file.

When you were at 850 did you only have 4 cards total in your credit history with no installment loans - or are the 4 cards just the open accounts and you have/had other accounts (and posibly an installment loan) on file that were closed?

Fico 9: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 8: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 4 .....:. EQ 809 TU 823 EX 830 EX Fico 98: 842
Fico 8 BC:. EQ 892 TU 900 EX 900
Fico 8 AU:. EQ 887 TU 897 EX 899
Fico 4 BC:. EQ 826 TU 858, EX Fico 98 BC: 870
Fico 4 AU:. EQ 831 TU 872, EX Fico 98 AU: 861
VS 3.0:...... EQ 835 TU 835 EX 835
CBIS: ........EQ LN Auto 940 EQ LN Home 870 TU Auto 902 TU Home 950
Message 1126 of 2,020
Ubuntu
Regular Contributor

@Thomas_Thumb wrote:

@Ubuntu wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm around 820 at all bureaus with only CCs. Two are Amex charge cards and 4 are credit cards. I was actually at 850 / 847 / 849 with only 4 accounts before I opened the two most recent accounts in March (one CC, one charge). Based on my minimal 6 trade line profile I would say the main things needed to hit 800 with only CCs are a perfect or near perfect payment history and low UTIL with a long credit history and /or a lengthy AAoA. Basically use credit sparingly, always pay on time, and then patience, patience, patience.

It appears you are saying you have no installment loans of any type open or closed in your file.

When you were at 850 did you only have 4 cards total in your credit history with no installment loans - or are the 4 cards just the open accounts and you have/had other accounts (and posibly an installment loan) on file that were closed?

Correct, I have zero open or closed installment loans in my file. I had a few 20 years ago but they're long gone.

When I was at 850 my file contained only 4 tradelines of my own, 3 credit cards and one Amex charge card. No closed accounts of any type. There were also two open AU credit card accounts in my file. Those had helped my score a lot in the past but in the FICO 8 formula they have less affect. They are no longer used to calculate my AAoA although they are still considered in my UTIL.

Message 1127 of 2,020
DU556
Regular Contributor

I just found this thread and thought I share my story.

Back in 2006 I made the mistake of signing for a house that my brother was going to live in. Foreclosed a couple of years later and my credit tanked!! Washington Mutual even closed my credit card because of the foreclosure even though the loan wasn't with them. "HIgh risk" they said :-(

In the last 11 years, this was the only negative on my report. I've had only 1 late payment which JCP forgave since it was my first time.

Since 2008 I've kepted track of my score and watched it grow slowly. In 2010, best buy actually approved me & ever since then my scores started rising slowly. Fast forward to Feb 2015 and the foreclosure and Equity loan finally fell off. When this happened, my scores shot up between 60-70 points and put my scores to where they are today. I went from having 2 credit cards (JCP & discover) with low limits to having 6 cards.

JCP master card $4k

Amex $23.3k

Chase Merriott Visa $13.5k (approved 2 days ago)

Discover $10.8k (just increased again 3 days ago)

Credit Union Visa $7k

Citi Best Buy Visa $1.5k

Fico Score 8 11/30/2015

Equifax 794

TransUnion 789

Experian 774 (decreased 7 points today because I let Discover report $0 balance >:-(

My goal is to be at 810 across the board by December next year. Is this a realistic goal in the given time frame?

Message 1128 of 2,020
LilyBee
Regular Contributor

Good going, Du556:

You've made a great comeback after the poor decision of signing for someone, even family.  We all have to learn to take care of ourselves, even when it hurts.

If you continue to pay any bills off or on time, and not extend your credit much, you should easily get into the 800s by next December.  You don't need any more credit cards. Good luck.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Starting scores:2007 - TU-850; EX-850; EQ-850. JUNE 11, 2015 - TU-850; EX-850, EQ-850 - Also FICO 8.
LATEST SCORES: EQ: 850; TU: 850; EX: 850; FICO 9 - AS OF MARCH 7, 2016

LATEST SCORES AS OF Nov. 24, /2016 - TU- 850; EQ - 846; EX - 836.- Smiley Sad
Scores as of June 1, 2017: EQ - 842; TU 841; EX - 842;
SCORES as of April 19, 2018: EQ - 834; TU - 841; EX - 832.
New numbers will be posted in 2021
Message 1129 of 2,020
paramed3
Regular Contributor

DU556 your credit history was like I was reading a story about myself. Only difference I did not co-sign just let my credit get out of hand years ago. I agree with Lilybee you don't need anymore credit cards in fact these last 2 you really did not need. I have 5 and want an Amex or discover or BOA rewards bad but in 16 days I have 2 hard inquires coming off. My score hit 802, 800, 798 this month. Fico8. I am trying to push me some fudge factor of say 20 points over 800 so when I do use cards and credit I never drop below 800. You have more CL than me but you have more credit cards. If you just sit on everything now and use your cards each much paying all to zero except one that 1 less than 1% of CL on that 1 card you should see 800 before December year. Going to take come work of not getting anymore credit. First thing I do each month I go fill both my trucks up with gas. I stop pump using every credit card I have. That way I know I have all used first few days of new statement cycle. I went from 533 to today in 8 years with this site and a lot of work.

Lilybee I hace a question. I had two things roll off my credit 7 year rule and it's been 10-15 years now. The credit collection agency 2 of them are still pulling soft inquires on me I notice on my last report update. Nothing negative on my report but after 10 years how can they legally do that ?

Thanks
Good work DU556 I know you feel great I sure do.
Starting FICO Score 2007: >> >> 533 -- God those were some Dark Days !!
Current >>>> 9-29-15 - (Experian 800 FICO-8 - (Equifax 798) - ( Transunion 808 )FICO Goals: 820-830 For all 3 or above
Ultimate Fico 850 x 3 Even if for a week Just to say I crawled out of the sewer and trust me it was the pits. I could not borrow a cent
Message 1130 of 2,020
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.