cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our Forums' FICO High Achievers: Who has at least one FICO Score of 760 or above?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Our Forums' FICO High Achievers: Who has at least one FICO Score of 760 or above?

Sarge, I agree if there is in fact a benefit of using high achieved scores to obtain a credit product that will provide additional benefits such as a SUB or greater rewards.  That's quite different though than just apping for the sake of apping because you "like cards." 

My take on it is that there are sort of 3 tiers of apping.  1 is when you need credit.  You want to buy a house, a car, need a CC, etc.  2 is when you don't need it, but having more would provide an additional worthwhile benefit.  This is where your example falls above when it comes to something like a SUB.  3 is apping just because an approval gives someone a good feeling.  This is what I advise against, regardless of credit scores.  I have no problem with Tier 2 above and Tier 1 is a given, but Tier 3 needs to be reconsidered by many IMO.

Message 1581 of 2,020
sarge12
Senior Contributor

Re: Our Forums' FICO High Achievers: Who has at least one FICO Score of 760 or above?

@Anonymous wrote:

Sarge, I agree if there is in fact a benefit of using high achieved scores to obtain a credit product that will provide additional benefits such as a SUB or greater rewards.  That's quite different though than just apping for the sake of apping because you "like cards." 

My take on it is that there are sort of 3 tiers of apping.  1 is when you need credit.  You want to buy a house, a car, need a CC, etc.  2 is when you don't need it, but having more would provide an additional worthwhile benefit.  This is where your example falls above when it comes to something like a SUB.  3 is apping just because an approval gives someone a good feeling.  This is what I advise against, regardless of credit scores.  I have no problem with Tier 2 above and Tier 1 is a given, but Tier 3 needs to be reconsidered by many IMO.

I could not agree more with this. Collecting credit cards just for the sake of having them is a mistake. I can even see where a SUB alone will not be worth it for some cards. If I am going to receive a hundred dollar bonus, but the transaction rewards are so low they will not be very used in the future, I would likely take a pass. Since I monitor all my cards almost daily the small SUB alone just would not be worth it. In general I seek out cards with at least 1.5% cash back, and the highest SUB available for such cards. I have at times gotten cards solely for a fairly high SUB of 2-3 hundred, but with these cards only having 1% cash back, they mainly reside in my sock drawer. These are cards I may either close soon, or just wait till the issuer closes them due to non-use. I also personally have not 1 single strictly store cards, even though the cash back on some of them is very attractive, I've just seen too many bad things posted about synchrony and commenity. Before I offend anyone, this is just a personal preferance, and I have seen many good post's on Lowes cards and Walmart cards. They are just not for me. If I were to re-model or had a major project, I might would consider the lowes card.

TU fico08=812 07/16/23
EX fico08=809 07/16/23
EQ fico09=812 07/16/23
EX fico09=821 07/16/23
EQ fico bankcard08=832 07/16/23
TU Fico Bankcard 08=840 07/16/23
EQ NG1 fico=802 04/17/21
EQ Resilience index score=58 03/09/21
Unknown score from EX=784 used by Cap1 07/10/20
Message 1582 of 2,020
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's cool that you have no store cards.  I only have one myself and it happens to be Lowe's.  At the time I got it I did think I was going to be doing quite a bit of purchasing there for some home upgrades, but it's been a couple of years and things got put off.  I still use the card every couple of months as I still go to Lowe's quite a bit (many times for work) and when rebuilding 2 years ago they gave me a $30k CL, far greater than anything else I had which aided in keeping my aggregate utilization always at a couple of percent.

Message 1583 of 2,020
LilyBee
Regular Contributor

Sarge and BBS:  While I don't have a Walmart card, I do purchase most of my staples there, and buy fresh produce and meat from Publix.  However, I do call it my Bank of Walmart because, during the convenience of shopping, that's the only place I can get $100 cash without going to the bank.  (Using my debit card, of course.)  Whatever works!Smiley Wink

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Starting scores:2007 - TU-850; EX-850; EQ-850. JUNE 11, 2015 - TU-850; EX-850, EQ-850 - Also FICO 8.
LATEST SCORES: EQ: 850; TU: 850; EX: 850; FICO 9 - AS OF MARCH 7, 2016

LATEST SCORES AS OF Nov. 24, /2016 - TU- 850; EQ - 846; EX - 836.- Smiley Sad
Scores as of June 1, 2017: EQ - 842; TU 841; EX - 842;
SCORES as of April 19, 2018: EQ - 834; TU - 841; EX - 832.
New numbers will be posted in 2021
Message 1584 of 2,020
EdMan63
Established Contributor

I hit 850 on my Experian over the summer. The other scores are strong as well. Have not apped for anything new in almost 1.5 years. Last big item was a new home in Dec 2016. Pretty much good credit wise but have an upcoming lease on my truck next May. It's nice to look at those high scores and I don't app just for the sake of apping. But they really don't mean much if you never use them for things that can benefit you financially. 

Message 1585 of 2,020
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've been the perfect customer when it comes to credit. 100% on time,good payments,great limits over a wide portfolio. unfortunately the highest it goes is 755. its as if its rigged in the lenders favor....hmm

Message 1586 of 2,020
Anonymous
Not applicable

@AnonymousI've been the perfect customer when it comes to credit. 100% on time,good payments,great limits over a wide portfolio. unfortunately the highest it goes is 755. its as if its rigged in the lenders favor....hmm

Something doesn't sound right.  First, limits have no bearing at all on credit score.  Many people with only 1.5 - 2 years of credit history are able to obtain 760+ scores, so if your credit history is greater than that and you're stuck at 755, there's definitely a reason why.

Message 1587 of 2,020
LeftCoaster

EQ: 813

TU: 795

EX: 805

Message 1588 of 2,020
masscredit
Valued Contributor

I'm not part of "the club" yet but my scores at closing in on 760. And that's with a 9 year old BK on my reports. My EQ08 score has 8 points to go. I hope that score goes well beyond 760 after I request an early exclusion in 2 months. Rolling the dice and hoping for 800+ then!

Pre-Credit Rebuild Scores Pre-DC (3/24/22) - EQ - 524 / TU - 519 / EX - 495

Current Scores - EQ - 687 / TU - 663/ EX - 677

SDFCU Secured - $5000 / TD Bank - $5000 / Mercury - $5000 / Capital One Savor One- $5000 / Capital One QuickSiver - $4500 / Ally Master Card - $2800/ Walmart Mastercard - $2250

Andrews FCU SSL $1500
Message 1589 of 2,020
ScoreSizzle
Frequent Contributor

scores.png

I finally hit it with all three this month. 

Started to get credit again in 2010 ($320 card), started working on my credit in 2012 (cleaning up my reports) but really started paying attention to it in 2016 (got more CC's and started reading the foums). 

Cap1 Quicksilver || Amex BCP || Discover IT || Chase FU || BofA Travel || FNB Omaha Platinum Visa
Message 1590 of 2,020
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.