Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paid $2923 balance: TU +8pt EQ +4 EX -14

tag
marmaladepie
Regular Contributor

Paid $2923 balance: TU +8pt EQ +4 EX -14

Just the oddest change.
Paid off a Chase cc to 0 mid cycle. And this is the only change across all 3 reports. No new inquiries, same balances on other accts (both revolving and installment loans), no new accts etc.
TU up 8 pts
EQ up 4 pts
but EX down 14 pts.
Overall Util 5%
Went through all 3B and couldn’t figure out why.

Side note: 2-3 weeks ago, an Amex 20k limit with 0 balance acct was removed from all 3B spontaneously. It was 9 mos old. Turned out Amex had my ssn off by 1 digit and they removed it. It had been reporting normally up until before it disappeared. After speaking to Amex credit reporting department they said it was fixed and will manually push through so the acct will re-appear on my reports in 3-5 days. So far that account isn’t on any reports still. I was thinking maybe it did to affect age of accounts on EX but it is still missing from all 3B.

The score changes noted above happened after the Amex account was accidentally removed and remained removed. So I don’t think this particular acct has anything to do with the drop in EX.

Thoughts from my fellow ficoers? : )
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Paid $2923 balance: TU +8pt EQ +4 EX -14

@marmaladepie wrote:
Just the oddest change.
Paid off a Chase cc to 0 mid cycle. And this is the only change across all 3 reports. No new inquiries, same balances on other accts (both revolving and installment loans), no new accts etc.
TU up 8 pts
EQ up 4 pts
but EX down 14 pts.
Overall Util 5%
Went through all 3B and couldn’t figure out why.

Side note: 2-3 weeks ago, an Amex 20k limit with 0 balance acct was removed from all 3B spontaneously. It was 9 mos old. Turned out Amex had my ssn off by 1 digit and they removed it. It had been reporting normally up until before it disappeared. After speaking to Amex credit reporting department they said it was fixed and will manually push through so the acct will re-appear on my reports in 3-5 days. So far that account isn’t on any reports still. I was thinking maybe it did to affect age of accounts on EX but it is still missing from all 3B.

The score changes noted above happened after the Amex account was accidentally removed and remained removed. So I don’t think this particular acct has anything to do with the drop in EX.

Thoughts from my fellow ficoers? : )

How many revolving and installment accounts do you have in total, and how many of those accounts have balances?

Is the utilization on any of your accounts over 8.9% and/or 28.9%?  Experian is known to be sensitive to increased utilization on individual accounts even when aggregate utilization remains stable.

Message 2 of 11
marmaladepie
Regular Contributor

2 installment accounts - balances have not changed during this EX drop
7 open revolving accounts (not including missing Amex acct)

Of the 7 revolving accts:
Only 1 card has 31% utilization, a Cap1 (also unchanged) and besides this Chase acct in particular, the rest are 0% or 0 balances. This Chase card was 29% util (2923/10000) before paying it to 0.

Perhaps then when it came to AZEO that Cap1 showing 31%, wasn’t good for EX as you mentioned.
Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

This Chase card was 29% util (2923/10000) before paying it to 0.

Percentages always round up; Your $2923 balance was seen as 30% utilization, not 29%. 

It's also not possible based on the information that you gave that two if your scores would go up 4 and 8 points where the other would go down 14 points all from the same event (CR data).  If you're seen opposing score changes like that creating a 22 point variance, it's from one or more other changes to your CR that have not happened across all 3B... simply meaning that the bureau data isn't consistent here for score-change discussion purposes.

Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is your Cap1 card an authorized user card?  If yes, maybe TU and EQ count  your Cap1, but  EX ignores it.  So EX would would give you the "ALL ZERO" penalty which is usally around 15 pt. But on TU and EQ your are at AZEO and the drop in utilization causes your score to go up.

Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have the exact same issue. Made the last payment for a debt consolidation loan (not early - but right at closing), and Experian and TU scores went up (10 and 12 respectively), whereas the Equifax actually went down 13 points. I am dumbfounded at this. All 3 CBs are showing the account closed/ paid off. I was reading about not having any installment accounts causing this issue, but I have an auto loan, a mortgage and another personal loan still active. Some of this doesnt make any sense. I had consolidated all my CC balances into a new loan and was hoping that it would help raise my scores. They started going up and then the 13 point ding. Any thoughts?

Current scores - EQ: 710/ TU: 741 / EX : 739

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you have other open loans (especially a mortgage which usually represents a large portion of your total loan balances) and close a loan, your scores aren't going to drop.  If you saw a drop, it was for a different reason.

Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I surely hope so, because just got another alert that my EX dropped 3 points from 739 to 736 for paying off a balance on a card (utilization dropped to 21% to 0%). Not sure why paying off debt is such a bad thing. I have checked every other avenue and looks like they want you to keep debt and not be debt free. A lot of my other cards are going to show up as paid off as they CC companies report balances and I am now afraid that the scores are going to drop even more.

And the reason for my previous post was the alerts that I got on this very site through my subscription:

"The balance on one of your cards has decreased by $1755"  - (Score drop from 739 to 736)

• UTILIZATION PERCENTAGE
    21% -->0%
    BALANCE AMOUNT
    $1,755.00-->$0.00

"An account listed on your credit report has been updated. 

• Unsecured Fixed RateClosed Or Paid Account / Zero Balance Unsecured Fixed Rate" - (Score drop from 723 to 710)

Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

The only time you'll see a score drop from a revolving account balance paydown is if you go from at least one non-zero reported balance to all zero reported balances.  If that account was your only one with a reported balance, having it report $0 (meaning all of your revolvers are now reporting $0) would result in a score drop.  If you have at least one other non-zero reported balance on another revolver, reporting $0 on the account you referenced above was not the reason for the score drop.  Also, the typical score drop associated with moving to all $0 balances is around 15 points, so the fact that you're seeing a 3 point drop to me suggests that it's due to something else.

Message 9 of 11
marmaladepie
Regular Contributor

All these accts are my own, no AU.

That chase Acct that I paid the 2923 off. Just reported a balance as of today at cycle end for $9 Smiley Happy
So far I only got an alert for TU with 0 pt change for the increase in balance. I’m waiting to see what happens to the tower two before paying it down again.
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.