Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paid charge off score drop

tag
wallacecody25
New Contributor

Paid charge off score drop

Hello everyone! Has anyone else experienced this? I had a 3 year old first preMier charge off updating monthly. Paid it off 3 months ago. Updated today as paid for less than full amount. And score dropped 10 points across the board...frustrated.
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Re: Paid charge off score drop

@wallacecody25 wrote:
Hello everyone! Has anyone else experienced this? I had a 3 year old first preMier charge off updating monthly. Paid it off 3 months ago. Updated today as paid for less than full amount. And score dropped 10 points across the board...frustrated.

Good news is now that it's settled, there will be no further monthly updates. 

Message 2 of 10
pgtackle2003
Frequent Contributor

To answer, yes unfortunately this is normal. The good news is though within 2-3 months you will recover those lost points likely. If no other baddies time is only your only friend here. I also have a First Premier charge off I settled about 2.5 years ago. They absolutely refuse to remove this from my CR. But I am already in the Fico 8 680's with time putting those negatives behind me.

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's normal to happen as they updated your payment history etc.......it will start to bounce back in a few months

Message 4 of 10
ON_A_MISSION
Valued Member

Here's the thing...The two major factors in credit score are payment history and utilization. Roughly 2/3. One of those, history, is entirely time based. A month is a month, is a month. We cant slow it down or speed it up. Make timely payments,  and the score goes up. The second is utilization. That changes every month when your lender reports.

In your instance, depending on state, that charge off was going to be reported for 7-10 years. Once you made a payment the bell was re-rung for the statutory time. Now, you are in the grey area. I never recommend resetting the time after 50% past due. As with all debt, accept utilization, time is the factor. As the charge-off got older, it's impact would be less. It may have been better to wait out the remaining time as the impact decreaces.  The good news is that time will heal the charge-off, it will just show longer.

The score drop will correct with...guess what...time. I thinks two reporting periods. Stay the course charted.

My strategy was this.  With 5+ collections, ignored them all. there impact was less and less with time. Payed my installments on time, and at the same time save the eqivilent of a pay-off. once I hit two years of on time payments... I payed the balences to zero! score jumped 150 points!!! recieved 2 new cards, which I use only once a month to show activity, of $4000. 

Good Luck with the challenge.

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sometimes feeling good is better than worrying about 10 points.

Message 6 of 10
KJinNC
Valued Contributor

You stopped the bleeding. It will pay off in the long run. Though the "less than full amount" comment is not helpful.

If I were you, I would try GWL saturation method. There is a thread about it. It requires persistence, a bit of research, and actually printing and mailing a bunch of stuff (not just emails and chats). But even without that, I think you'll be better off than if you didn't pay it, unless it was about to age off.

Good luck!

FICO Resilience Index: 64. Cards: 5/24, 2/12, 2/6. Accounts including loans: 8/24, 4/12, 3/6. Card CLs total $213,900, or $240,400 including the AU card. Cards (oldest to newest)

Authorized user / Corporate / Auto loans / Personal loan
Message 7 of 10
sjt
Senior Contributor

@wallacecody25 wrote:

Thats unusual. You should have gotten a boost in your score. 

How is it reported?

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 8 of 10
Remedios
Credit Mentor

It was probably the last update to "paid" that caused score drop 

Even if the action (paying) was positive, any update to negative account has the potential to drop the score as it makes delinquency appear more recent 

Again, it's the last peep from this account, you'll gain those points back in time 

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@ON_A_MISSION wrote:

Here's the thing...The two major factors in credit score are payment history and utilization. Roughly 2/3. One of those, history, is entirely time based. A month is a month, is a month. We cant slow it down or speed it up. Make timely payments,  and the score goes up. The second is utilization. That changes every month when your lender reports.

In your instance, depending on state, that charge off was going to be reported for 7-10 years. Once you made a payment the bell was re-rung for the statutory time. Now, you are in the grey area. I never recommend resetting the time after 50% past due. As with all debt, accept utilization, time is the factor. As the charge-off got older, it's impact would be less. It may have been better to wait out the remaining time as the impact decreaces.  The good news is that time will heal the charge-off, it will just show longer.

The score drop will correct with...guess what...time. I thinks two reporting periods. Stay the course charted.

My strategy was this.  With 5+ collections, ignored them all. there impact was less and less with time. Payed my installments on time, and at the same time save the eqivilent of a pay-off. once I hit two years of on time payments... I payed the balences to zero! score jumped 150 points!!! recieved 2 new cards, which I use only once a month to show activity, of $4000. 

Good Luck with the challenge.

So much of this is wrong. 

Paying on a debt does not make it stay on your report longer, debts are fixed for removal no later than 7 years and 180 days per CRA policy regardless of statute of limitations (some states like New York will have items removed after 5 years), and the drop in the credit score is caused by a delinquency being updated. FICO treats that as a fresh delinquency. It’s one of the most infuriating things about FICO scores since it discourages people from paying their debts but it is what it is. 

Also, paying off an installment loan early can actually drop your score as FICO has a penalty for no active installment accounts. 

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.