cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paid off a loan and credit score DROPPED 30 points !

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Paid off a loan and credit score DROPPED 30 points !

I paid off one of my student loans this month, and today I got an update from Experian saying that 1) the account was marked closed paid and 2) my score dropped 30 points.

Experian has one other student loan that's about 50% paid off at $2,500, but doesn't seem to be reporting original balance or usage, just current balance. Could that affect it?

Equifax also dropped, and the paid-off loan was the only installment account being reported. Would it be worth opening an SSL somewhere like NFCU to get another installment account on Equifax?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Paid off a loan and credit score DROPPED 30 points !

It might be simpler to try to get the 50% student loan to report the original balance. Call the loan company and see if they can get the reporting updated.

Message 2 of 5
RSX
Valued Contributor

If you don't need a loan, I wouldn't get one just for points

finances before score.  

be happy you paid off a loan!

also, there are account reporting discrepancies between the main 3- so your score will never lineup anyway

i have a bank that reports 2 accounts to Ex. Never has reported to TU.  

it just doesn't matter.  

Dec 16/2019. EX. 721. EQ. 723. TU 746
Jan 25/2024 EX. 774 EQ. 751 TU 758
Inq. EX 2 EQ 3 TU 6 - - CC 2x24, 0x12
Amex BCP $35k - Apple GS $21k - BMW/Elan $19k - Cap1 QS $16.7k - Chase Amazon $13.6k - Chase Bonvoy Bountiful $10k - Chase United Club Infinite $26k - Citi CustomCash $3k - Citi DC $14.5k - CreditUnion1 $9k - DiscoverIT $31.5k - PayBoo - $15.6k - Penfed Gold - $19.3k - USB AltitudeGO -$19k- USBank Cash+ -$25k - PenFed LOC - $20k - USB LOC - $15k
Message 3 of 5
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I paid off one of my student loans this month, and today I got an update from Experian saying that 1) the account was marked closed paid and 2) my score dropped 30 points.

Experian has one other student loan that's about 50% paid off at $2,500, but doesn't seem to be reporting original balance or usage, just current balance. Could that affect it?

Equifax also dropped, and the paid-off loan was the only installment account being reported. Would it be worth opening an SSL somewhere like NFCU to get another installment account on Equifax?

I don't think that would help in this situation. Probably what happened is your aggregate installment utilization went up when the loan got paid off. If the remaining open loan isn't being reported properly you might want to dispute that, as it should show the original loan amount and the current balance. If that's your only loan, once it's down to 9% of the original loan amount you should get a bonus in your FICO 8 scores.

Take comfort in the fact that the mortgage scores are much less impacted by this kind of thing.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'd suggest trying to get that other loan to report properly.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.