cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paid off account and one score drops while another goes up?

PAC1010

Paid off account and one score drops while another goes up?

I am having a hard time understanding credit scores lately.  I recently paid down (and off) a number of my credit cards.  I paid off 3 and lowered the balances on several others.   My credit utilization went down from 80% to 52% ( still working to get it below 30% )  I have no late payments, no collections and average length of credit is just under 5 years.   This is reflected in all 3 credit reports but for some reason my Trans Union Score dropped 21 points, while Experian and Equifax both went up by 9 and 11 points respectivly.  All 3 are showing the exact same information so can someone please expalain how Trans Union drops substantialy while the others went up?   Thank you in advance for any input.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
CentralNY
Established Member

Re: Paid off account and one score drops while another goes up?

I don't have an answer to your question but since it sounds like you're trying to do something similar to what I'm doing so let me share this.  I had BT balances on 4 of 5 of my 9 cards and none of them were near max.  I got BT offers and moved all the balances to two of my bigger cards and even though the % utilization on those two cards were 90%+ at first my score shot up like 20+ points.... My overall utilization stayed the same but I think they don't like to see much more than 0 or maybe a few percent on most of your cards.  So the big ding was high % on just the two BT cards and a 48% overall (now 37% as I pay things off).  With an otherwise clean report, mortgage and another installment loan this had me in the 780-800 range.

Sorry that's not really an answer to your question but hope it helps in some way.

Message 2 of 4
FireMedic1
Super Contributor

The thresholds are 89%, 69%, 49%, 29%, 9% are the moments score changes. So you actually only passed 1 of them. Close to the next one. TU is known to lag behind the others. Give it time and they have their own internal update times. It wil catch up.

Homeowner since Sept 2020. My posts are JMHO. My siggy is not to brag. Just sharing my experiences after BK from learning here from rebuild to recovery from the @ 540's.
Message 3 of 4
SouthJamaica
Super Contributor

@PAC1010 wrote:

I am having a hard time understanding credit scores lately.  I recently paid down (and off) a number of my credit cards.  I paid off 3 and lowered the balances on several others.   My credit utilization went down from 80% to 52% ( still working to get it below 30% )  I have no late payments, no collections and average length of credit is just under 5 years.   This is reflected in all 3 credit reports but for some reason my Trans Union Score dropped 21 points, while Experian and Equifax both went up by 9 and 11 points respectivly.  All 3 are showing the exact same information so can someone please expalain how Trans Union drops substantialy while the others went up?   Thank you in advance for any input.

1.  The paying down of credit card balances which you describe would not cause a drop in any FICO scoring model on any bureau's data.

2.  There is something in the TransUnion report which you are missing.

Total revolving limits 698000 (605000 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 721 TU 742 EX 715

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.