cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paid off car, closed account dropped credit score.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Paid off car, closed account dropped credit score.

Hello. So I just finished paying off my car (not one late payment). Account was marked as ‘closed’ from bank with $0 balance. My score dropped 10 points because of this. Why? What can I do to fix this? I’m working towards improving my score and this is surely unexpected and discouraging.
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
DollyLama
Established Contributor

Re: Paid off car, closed account dropped credit score.

If this was your only installment loan, you lost points for not having it in the credit mix. Need an open installment and at least 1 revolver reporting a low balance, or you get dinged on your score.

Message 2 of 5
DollyLama
Established Contributor

There is a thread about a secured share loan techinque that you can follow that will yield the points back to you. No student loans, mortgage or anything else that will be construed as an installment on your file that is open?

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Here is a link to the thread for the Share Secure Loan Technique.  The OP only needs to read the first two posts.

We can help the OP better if (she?) describes in more detail her situation.  Is she looking to apply for some important kind of credit in the next year?  (Car loan, home loan, whatever)  If so what specific kind of credit, what is the timeline, and what are her scores now?

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I refinanced my car in April, the new account reported 2 days after I signed the paper work. I immediately got a 10 point increase on tu and 12 point increases on ex and eq.  When my original account posted closed 0 balance I lost more points then I gained.  Today Experian updated that an account listed on your credit report has been updated. It now lists as a paid loan and I got a 9 point increase.  I currently have a mortgage for 15 years and the 1 car loan as installments

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.