cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paid off collection item, But remains unpaid on report!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Paid off collection item, But remains unpaid on report!

First id like to say how thankful i am to have found this forum, and a place to get real answers and help for questions that noone or anywhere id look seemed to help.  Back to question at hand, I had an account placed on collection in 2002 from At&t broadband.  About a year later I went and paid it off in full, not to just fix my credit but because I wanted high speed internet and could not get it unless previous balance was paid in full.  Well in that year span At&t broadband was bought out or merged (not sure what of the two) by Comcast, so the payment was made to Comcast and was given a small receipt and couple days later i had high speed internet again and think my credit report would reflect the changes.  Fast foward to yesterday get my equifax report and see that At&t on an upaid collection account of $267 that was paid off years ago, and to my dismay cant find that tiny reciept due to all the moving. Only real proof I got is if they can see that my internet was hooked up, and that ended in collection as well but was rapidly paid and shows paid the second time around.  Is there anything that I can do? I would really like to hear what steps if any I should or can take. Thank you.
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Paid off collection item, But remains unpaid on report!

Well - you don't owe a CA $267 so it could not possibly be yours-

Dispute "Not Mine"
Message 2 of 7
scramblingin2007
Established Contributor

Oh absolutley "not mine"
You will prevail!
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the advice. But just out of curiousity how and why does reporting "not mine" work? And in what other situations can doing this help as well?
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

They need to report accurate or not at all.

Re-read my original reply.
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

You could also say that it was inaccurate because it may not be reporting correctly.
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is there a suggested method of disputing this?
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.