cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paid off credit card - score still the same?

tag
Yortster
Established Member

Paid off credit card - score still the same?

Several month ago I paid off my Capital One Visa. I paid half the balance one month and my FICO went up about 30 points. I paid the remaining balance the second month (to $0) and my score didn't go up - what did I do wrong? This doesn't make any sense. Now I am completely debt free, and my score is the same as when I was several thousand dollars in debt. I have never missed a payment on this credit card that I've had over 6 years.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
ILBrian
Regular Contributor

Re: Paid off credit card - score still the same?

Does this payment reflect on your credit report? Is this your only card? To improve your score you should have at least 2 revolving accounts. Additionally if you want a score boost you want to carry around 9% utilization.
Wallet: Discover IT, Discover Gas, Citi Professional (6.74% apr), Chase Freedom, Cap1 Quciksilver, Élan Financial Rewards, BOA Amex, Walmart, CareCredit, Paypal Smart Connect, Kohls, HSBC Cash or Fly, Chase Sapphire Preferred, Amex Zync, Amex Blue Cash Preferred, USAA Plat Rewards, Chase Ink, NFCU Plat
Message 2 of 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The first payment may have reduced your % util to such a level that subsequent reductions had much less effect.  It is not a straight-line.

What was your % util before and after the first payment?

If your score showed a 30 pt improvement after the first payment, and little with the second, the overall improvement wasnt approx 30 pts?.  How then did it remain the same as prior to the payments?

Message 3 of 7
FrugalRican
Blogger

There might be some missing information from this scenario.

Can't really tell without getting a full picture.

Follow my financial journey: http://www.frugalrican.com

EQ FICO (01/16/2012): 656 - EQ FICO (02/16/2012): 743 - EQ (02/24/2012): 760 - EX (04/28/2012): 739 - GOAL 2013: 800+

AMEX BCE (0/10K) --- BOA 1-2-3 (0/15.9K) --- Discover More (0/6K) --- Chase Freedom Visa (0/1.4K) -- Hyatt Visa Sign. (0/5.8K) -- Barclay's NFL Card (0/7.5K) -- Chase Sapphire Preferred (0/5K)

Message 4 of 7
marty56
Super Contributor

EQ dings me a few points for 0% CC util.  You can always let a small balance report again  and see what changes.

At 0% util, you are in the drivers set credit wise and AA proof as well.

1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 5 of 7
AZHeather
Frequent Contributor

Have you fully reviewed your report to see if something else showed up that may have caused any score change to "wash"?  Also, as Frugal mentioned, we would need to know what your cli is, what your original balance was, and what the payments were.

Message 6 of 7
golo
Frequent Contributor

Did you get your points back by using your CC and therefore increasing your utilization? Thanks in advance.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.