Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paying Down Credit Cards

tag
Arcreactors
Valued Member

Paying Down Credit Cards

Quick question regarding paying down credit cards. I have had about 10 cards maxed out over the last 10 or so months. I have never missed a payment, I am about to pay them down / off. My credit score has obviously dropped just due to the utilization rate of each card, and I fully expect my score to go up quite a bit. Again, never had a missed payment. 
My situation is I have enough to pay off all but 2 cards. Both of which my balance is promo 0% until end of summer. Do I pay all but those two cards off or do I spread it around and drop all cards to a less than 20% usage? Obviously I would save more money by paying off all but the two, but what would benefit my credit score better? Thanks for any help!

Credit Cards

Store Cards

Last App: May 9, 2022 | Last HP: May 9, 2022 | Gardening since: May 9, 2022 | Last updated: May 15, 2022
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
dragontears
Senior Contributor

Re: Paying Down Credit Cards

@Arcreactors wrote:

Quick question regarding paying down credit cards. I have had about 10 cards maxed out over the last 10 or so months. I have never missed a payment, I am about to pay them down / off. My credit score has obviously dropped just due to the utilization rate of each card, and I fully expect my score to go up quite a bit. Again, never had a missed payment. 
My situation is I have enough to pay off all but 2 cards. Both of which my balance is promo 0% until end of summer. Do I pay all but those two cards off or do I spread it around and drop all cards to a less than 20% usage? Obviously I would save more money by paying off all but the two, but what would benefit my credit score better? Thanks for any help!

Clarification questions:

When you say "benefit my credit score better" is that the short term or long term you are most interested in? 

What is your next anticipated need for credit? 

Message 2 of 12
Arcreactors
Valued Member

I guess short term. I'm just tired of seeing a low credit score and have fears that issuers will start closing my credit lines. I've already had havertys (synchrony) close an account for no reason. 100% on time payments and I always paid more than minimum. They closed it during my 0% 18 month purchase promo. Lowered my credit line twice as I made payments then closed it. I don't really have a "need" for credit at this time. No major purchases coming up. I am trying to obtain an Amex at some point for a travel card. 

Credit Cards

Store Cards

Last App: May 9, 2022 | Last HP: May 9, 2022 | Gardening since: May 9, 2022 | Last updated: May 15, 2022
Message 3 of 12
SlideOrInsert
Regular Contributor

in the case you cannot pay off the remaining two this summer, pay off balances of all the other cards. if the other cards are at zero it will give you options for a new 0% balance transfer.

otherwise I would pay the two down to at least 87% util, so they are not "maxed." then pay off as many of the others as possible.

upgrade
9/2022
$30000
nfcu
8/2020
$20000
nfcu
12/2018
$30000
bofa
8/2016
$30000
citi
3/2016
$21000
discover
5/2014
$20000
chase
10/2007
$8900
Message 4 of 12
Arcreactors
Valued Member

So based on your feedback and reading some other topics it seems at the very least those two need to be paid down below 87%. Is this because anything over that is considered maxed and they look at this different and potentially will close the account? Can you explain how that works? I assume it would just make them less likely to take action and start closing accounts. Thanks. What time frame do they start doing this once cards sit "maxed"

Credit Cards

Store Cards

Message 5 of 12
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Arcreactors wrote:

For credit score purposes it's best to pay those 2 down to 28% or at least down to 48%

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 6 of 12
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Arcreactors wrote:

So based on your feedback and reading some other topics it seems at the very least those two need to be paid down below 87%. Is this because anything over that is considered maxed and they look at this different and potentially will close the account? Can you explain how that works? I assume it would just make them less likely to take action and start closing accounts. Thanks. What time frame do they start doing this once cards sit "maxed"

Well, as you have seen, banks such as Sync may react unfavorably when they see a cardholder with high utilization elsewhere. So even for the remaining list of cards, some banks are more likely to balance chase as your balances come down, although there are no hard and fast rules about when banks might or might not respond to high utilization. 

Can you list out the banks where you have your balances, which you intend to pay down, which you intend to continue taking advantage of the 0% funding. All else being equal, it's probably better to keep the 0% balances where they are, but to answer your original question there may be some specific amounts that can be sorted out to best improve your score. 

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 7 of 12
SlideOrInsert
Regular Contributor

in my debt payoff journey I took the finances > fico mindset. I have had maxed out cards due to balance transfers. the $ saved in interest from a 0% promo was more beneficial to me than the few points I would lose for maxing out. in fact, paying off all my cards except one or two gave such a boost in score that the points for being maxed out didn't even matter. I never had any adverse action LIKELY because of my perfect payment history. if your history is perfect I wouldn't worry about accounts closing. you mentioned synchrony closing, but that is more a "synchrony thing" than a you thing. it happened to a lot of people without warning.

check out this post for some details about thresholds.

upgrade
9/2022
$30000
nfcu
8/2020
$20000
nfcu
12/2018
$30000
bofa
8/2016
$30000
citi
3/2016
$21000
discover
5/2014
$20000
chase
10/2007
$8900
Message 8 of 12
JFox418
Regular Contributor

I'm in a fairly similar situation and chose the path of saving interest over scoring. At first I was just paying down current balances and getting below %90, %70, %50 and %30 on individual cards made a huge difference in scoring. Eventually I paid down my balances as much as I could afford and my scores went up to over 800 (was still around %50 UTIL overall) but I was paying a lot of interest on balances. Decided to go the finances over fico route, took some HPs and dings for new accounts. Transfered balances over to the new accounts so now I'm not paying interest and dealt with the score drops of one account showing %83 UTIL and another showing %56.

If you post your balances and interest rates it'll help with suggestions. If you pay off your cards that you're paying interest on will you still be able to pay off the %0 interest cards before that %0 interest ends?

Message 9 of 12
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@JFox418 wrote:

I'm in a fairly similar situation and chose the path of saving interest over scoring. At first I was just paying down current balances and getting below %90, %70, %50 and %30 on individual cards made a huge difference in scoring. Eventually I paid down my balances as much as I could afford and my scores went up to over 800 (was still around %50 UTIL overall) but I was paying a lot of interest on balances. Decided to go the finances over fico route, took some HPs and dings for new accounts. Transfered balances over to the new accounts so now I'm not paying interest and dealt with the score drops of one account showing %83 UTIL and another showing %56.

If you post your balances and interest rates it'll help with suggestions. If you pay off your cards that you're paying interest on will you still be able to pay off the %0 interest cards before that %0 interest ends?

You had scores over 800 with aggregate revolving utilization over 50%??? That is astounding to me.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.