cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paying Off Car Loan Lower FICO Score?

tag
Creditwiser
Valued Contributor

Re: Paying Off Car Loan Lower FICO Score?

@MarineVietVet wrote:

There seems to be more and more evidence that FICO 08 does not like zero installment loans reporting.

I may have to change my mantra that credit mix does not matter all that much; at least in the eyes of FICO 08.

But I still say that being debt free is always my #1 goal.

Good point but for us rebuilders, that installment mix makes a huge difference as we're all witnessing. The 10-12 pt hit that I just took from paying off a car loan doesnt matter to me at the moment, but for some it could mean the difference between a mtg approval or denial if it came at the wrong time. 

Now I still have to wait a bit to see what happens when my new car loan begins reporting. Long term it will be a good thing, short term remains to be seen. 

NFCU Visa 30k | NFCU Platinum 30k | Cap1 QS 12K | Cap1 QS 11.5K | Barclay MC 9k | Delta Gold Amex 30K | Discover IT 14K | CFNA FS 3200 | CareCredit 20k| Paypal Credit 5k |
Message 31 of 36
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@jettech wrote:

@MarineVietVet wrote:

There seems to be more and more evidence that FICO 08 does not like zero installment loans reporting.

I may have to change my mantra that credit mix does not matter all that much; at least in the eyes of FICO 08.

But I still say that being debt free is always my #1 goal.

Good point but for us rebuilders, that installment mix makes a huge difference as we're all witnessing. The 10-12 pt hit that I just took from paying off a car loan doesnt matter to me at the moment, but for some it could mean the difference between a mtg approval or denial if it came at the wrong time. 

Now I still have to wait a bit to see what happens when my new car loan begins reporting. Long term it will be a good thing, short term remains to be seen. 

I understand what you're saying. I've been in the rebuilding stage.

Even when I was in BK being debt free was always my goal and I wasn't concerned about a few points.

But as I say all the time my opinion doesn't bind anyone else to agree with me or cancel their opinion.

Message 32 of 36
Max-1
Visitor

Agree... same goal > credit/debt free.  Does make you wonder just how independent FICO is... looks like they're in bed with the banks.  Have almost no debt, and expect to be totally debt-free in 2 months.  Wonder how low my score will go then!

Message 33 of 36
Creditwiser
Valued Contributor

@Max-1 wrote:

Agree... same goal > credit/debt free.  Does make you wonder just how independent FICO is... looks like they're in bed with the banks.  Have almost no debt, and expect to be totally debt-free in 2 months.  Wonder how low my score will go then!

I wonder too. Let us know please.

NFCU Visa 30k | NFCU Platinum 30k | Cap1 QS 12K | Cap1 QS 11.5K | Barclay MC 9k | Delta Gold Amex 30K | Discover IT 14K | CFNA FS 3200 | CareCredit 20k| Paypal Credit 5k |
Message 34 of 36
9CLINE
Valued Contributor

Alerts today stating Cap1 auto finance 0 bal account paid/closed.
Score changes= tu-18,eq-6,ex-13... all decreases. No other changes,not upset just feels good to be debt free...
Just wanted to put my experience in hope it helps someone

Message 35 of 36
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@9CLINE wrote:
Alerts today stating Cap1 auto finance 0 bal account paid/closed.
Score changes= tu-18,eq-6,ex-13... all decreases. No other changes,not upset just feels good to be debt free...
Just wanted to put my experience in hope it helps someone

I like your attitude.

Message 36 of 36
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.