cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paying off Credit Cards or Loans First for Biggest FICO Boost?

tag
Cpmcmxc
Established Member

Paying off Credit Cards or Loans First for Biggest FICO Boost?

Hi Everyone,

I am in a unique situation and would really like some advice. I am going to be coming into some money roughly to the tune of around $30,000 after taxes. Now I am just trying to decide which would benefit me the most in the long run:

I have credit card debt sitting at around $25,000 which costs me roughly $1,300 in monthly payments alone to cover. Additionally, I have $30,057.00 of installment-based debt that costs me $1,388.89 to pay the minimum payment every month. Which would be the better one to pay off first? The end goal is to take out a debt consolidation loan to consolidate the rest into a more manageable payment, which would thereby alleviate a lot of my monthly expenses.

Current FICO 8s:
Equifax 657, Transunion: 657, Experian: 654

Any information or advice you can offer is greatly appreciated.

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Taurus22
Valued Contributor

Re: Paying off Credit Cards or Loans First for Biggest FICO Boost?

I think the interest rates on CC's would be much higher than those for installment loans and it would probably benefit you more to pay off the CC's first. That would also give you the extra contingency if you needed to use the cards for other expenses while you're working on paying down the loan.

That's my first instinct, unless someone else has a more reasonable response....lol.

Additionally, as an added thought.....depending on how many CC's your debt is spread across (and if any of those cards are maxed out), this would also help reduce individual utilization for "X" number of cards, which would help your overall FICO scores.

My Wallet
Sock Drawered

On Deck: No Plans Currently
Message 2 of 13
CH-7-Mission-Accomplished
Valued Contributor

@Cpmcmxc wrote:

Hi Everyone,

I am in a unique situation and would really like some advice. I am going to be coming into some money roughly to the tune of around $30,000 after taxes. Now I am just trying to decide which would benefit me the most in the long run:

I have credit card debt sitting at around $25,000 which costs me roughly $1,300 in monthly payments alone to cover. Additionally, I have $30,057.00 of installment-based debt that costs me $1,388.89 to pay the minimum payment every month. Which would be the better one to pay off first? The end goal is to take out a debt consolidation loan to consolidate the rest into a more manageable payment, which would thereby alleviate a lot of my monthly expenses.

Current FICO 8s:

What is the interest rate and loan term on that installment loan?   That is a huge monthly payment for a $30K loan.   Should be $500-$600.   That said, usually it's better to pay off credit cards, but I would line up your debt for each account by interest rate and pay off the highest rate debt until you run out of money to use.

Message 3 of 13
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Cpmcmxc wrote:

Hi Everyone,

Current FICO 8s:

Best to pay off the credit cards first. That will boost your scores.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 4 of 13
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@CH-7-Mission-Accomplished wrote:

What is the interest rate and loan term on that installment loan?   That is a huge monthly payment for a $30K loan.   Should be $500-$600.   That said, usually it's better to pay off credit cards, but I would line up your debt for each account by interest rate and pay off the highest rate debt until you run out of money to use.

I'm guessing to $30,057 is the remaining balance on a much larger debt

Message 5 of 13
calisig
Regular Contributor

@SouthJamaica wrote:

Best to pay off the credit cards first. That will boost your scores.

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ will give the fastest biggest boost in scores. FICO looks at installment debt expecting long term payments, and doesn't reduce your scores the same way it reduces scores for revolving debt.

13Oct22 Exp F8: 812
Message 6 of 13
teekay629
New Contributor

I agree with this! Since the debt is weighted differently as a loan versus credit card.

I would pay off the credit cards.  Since your credit card debt comes under the amount you will be receiving, I would then keep that amount in a good APR savings account to have for emergencies. Then I would take about half to 2/3 of the amount (more or less depending on your financial situation) you paid per month towards credit cards and put that towards the loans (on top of the minimum payment). This will help you pay it down faster, but also less interest in the long run if you apply the extra payment to principal.

Message 7 of 13
ptatohed
Valued Contributor

I guess I am missing the dilemma.  If you can afford to pay down debt, assuming the debt is costing you more than you could make with investing that same money, you put the money toward paying down the highest APR debt, period.  Forget the FICO boost.  

5% CB rotating: ;
Everyday 3% CB: ;
Everyday 5%: ;
Companion Card: ;
Everyday 2.2% CB: ;
Retired to sock drawer after AOD (kept alive w/ 1 purchase every 6 mo): ;
On my radar: ;
Still Waiting for an Invite: ;
No hope:
Message 8 of 13
Anonymalous
Valued Contributor

@ptatohed wrote:

I guess I am missing the dilemma.  If you can afford to pay down debt, assuming the debt is costing you more than you could make with investing that same money, you put the money toward paying down the highest APR debt, period.  Forget the FICO boost.  

I'd usually agree with this, but @Cpmcmxc wants to try for debt consolidation loan, so paying off the credit card debt first may be the best move. With FICO 8s in the mid 600s and presumably fairly high utilization, paying off the credit card debt could result in pretty decent scores. Especially since it sounds like the current installment loans have very high rates, consolidating them into a single lower rate loan might be the best option.

Message 9 of 13
CL-Addiq
New Contributor

To give the best advice, one would need to know all the variables.

What is the nature of your cash flow?

You're currently paying about $2.7k a month in debt servicing. Presumably, this is after paying necessities like food and shelter. Is this sustainable, or is your income seasonal or in some other way at risk? Is your total credit card debt going down or are you just paying the minimums?

Is the loan secured or unsecured?

If the loan is secured against say a truck then the impact to your credit is probably negligible. The loan can be recouped by just seizing the truck. However, if that truck is required for your job then securing your livelihood might be a more important goal than minimizing your credit score.

Does the loan even allow prepay?

I had a student loan which did not and I paid a big chunk of money only to discover I didn't save a penny of interest and lost out on hundreds or even thousands of dollars of investment potential.

What are the interest rates?

If you have a 0% or low intro rate, it might save you money in the long run if you put the money in an interest bearing account for now and paying it off once the intro is over. Otherwise, generally you want to pay the highest interest first.

What is your credit card utilization?

AZEO is generally a good score hacking technique, but I think if the one card is at 90% then you're probably better off spreading it out over a few cards.

I know your stated goal was maximizing your credit score. I also recommend trying to keep enough cash on hand to cover 3-6 months of expenses. You might be able to do this while also significantly increasing your score.

Goals: Wishes:
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.