Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paying off secured credit cards and closing accounts need advice

tag
nosup4u
Contributor

Paying off secured credit cards and closing accounts need advice

Hello all I've got about 4 secured cards that for the most part will never graduate 

SDFCU  Wells Fargo capital one and academy bank all are over 2 years old in age some longer but none more than 2.5 five years old how much of a increase in score would you think I would get maybe 2 to 5 points per card.  Finally getting better cards with better terms like PenFed Sl was 3500 16% my best card yet.  I know there are many other factors but just trying to get a round about estimation on what everyone thinks thank for any answers 

5 REPLIES 5
AllZero
Mega Contributor

Re: Paying off secured credit cards and closing accounts need advice

@nosup4u wrote:

Hello all I've got about 4 secured cards that for the most part will never graduate 

SDFCU  Wells Fargo capital one and academy bank all are over 2 years old in age some longer but none more than 2.5 five years old how much of a increase in score would you think I would get maybe 2 to 5 points per card.  Finally getting better cards with better terms like PenFed Sl was 3500 16% my best card yet.  I know there are many other factors but just trying to get a round about estimation on what everyone thinks thank for any answers 

If reported utilization is zero for the card(s) in question, you will gain zero FICO points.

Message 2 of 6
Remedios
Credit Mentor

If paying off cards drops your utilization below any threshold, you might gain some points, but there wont be any gains for the act of closing accounts 

Message 3 of 6
blindambition
Senior Contributor

How long between those cards and what you consider good cards? Months, years?

Cards can stay on reports for 10 years, but will eventually drop AoOA. This may result in FICO drop.

Message 4 of 6
nosup4u
Contributor

Great thanks for the responses so basically I need to SD these and wail till they unsecure for about 3 years or so till they reach like 5 years cause they are some of my non bad oldest tradelines and if I close them out my Aoaa will decrease and hurt my score correct?  If not what you anyone of you guys do in my situation goal is to raise score above 720 with all cc's paid to zero it's about 680 or so 

@blindambition wrote:

Cards can stay on reports for 10 years, but will eventually drop AoOA. This may result in FICO drop.

Message 5 of 6
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@nosup4u wrote:

Great thanks for the responses so basically I need to SD these and wail till they unsecure for about 3 years or so till they reach like 5 years cause they are some of my non bad oldest tradelines and if I close them out my Aoaa will decrease and hurt my score correct?  If not what you anyone of you guys do in my situation goal is to raise score above 720 with all cc's paid to zero it's about 680 or so 

@blindambition wrote:

Make sure at least one of the cards reports a small balance before you pay it off.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.