Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Payoff of student loans and Credit Score

tag
macinjosh
Senior Contributor

Re: Payoff of student loans and Credit Score

Loan #’s 2 & 4 are the highest interest @ 6.8%. Loan 4 is the smallest balance. 6 & 7 are 2nd highest @ 4.66%. 1 & 3 are 4.5%. #5 is 3.86%, but the largest balance.

Samsung Financing TD Bank $3,200

Message 11 of 14
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@macinjosh wrote:

Loan #’s 2 & 4 are the highest interest @ 6.8%. Loan 4 is the smallest balance. 6 & 7 are 2nd highest @ 4.66%. 1 & 3 are 4.5%. #5 is 3.86%, but the largest balance.

Ultimately it doesn't matter what the balance is when we're talking debt: just the interest rate

Pay off them in the order you have listed, 2, 4, 6, 7, 1, 3, 5 if you're trying to get out of debt the fastest and therefore save the most money possible.  I'd argue dumping 2 and 4 are the best financial moves just about anyone could make right now, guarunteed 6.8% in today's market?  Take it Smiley Happy.

        
Message 12 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Great advice thus far.  The only tweak I'd make is not to lower your balance to an ultratiny level ($2 was suggested).  We have had a number of people have their loans closed when they do that.  Many loan servicers have an unstated policy of doing that -- I had a very helpful customer service rep who walked me through that when I was planning to pay down my student loan.

What I would do is look at what the original monthly payment (OMP) was on your loan.  Then lower the balance to $2 more than that OMP.  And if the OMP was really small (e.g. $11) then make sure that the balance stays above $30. 

On a different note, if for some reason you only want your scores to go up (never down) then yes, I'd pay all loans to 8% first before paying any of them off.  Your scores will get to the same place regardless with a single open loan at a low balance, but some people don't like seeing their scores go down temporarily.

Message 13 of 14
macinjosh
Senior Contributor

Thanks CreditGuyInDixie. I’ll keep that in mind. My big concern is a massive score drop by paying them all off. But if lowering the balances to 8% first will lessen the score impact, I’m all for it.

Thank you for the input.

Samsung Financing TD Bank $3,200

Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.