Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Personal Loan payoff - score change?

tag
expatCanuck
Super Contributor

Personal Loan payoff - score change?

I have a new mortgage (refi) from which my score has started to recover, and, for another month, a personal loan.  Final payment next month.

Thick, clean file.  Rarely does CC util exceed 1%.

When the loan is paid off, should I anticipate a score change and, if so. which way?

2023 Goal: save 3 months' net income

Starting FICO8: 666 (give or take a FICO)
[ Last INQ 12-Feb-2024 ]
EQ8415 INQ (Auto, CC, HELOC, 2 mort)7y2m
EX8125 INQ (2 CC, 2 mort, HELoan)6y11m
TU8294 INQ (3 CC, 1 mort)6y6m
5/243/12AoYA 0m | AoOA 23y6m~3%
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Re: Personal Loan payoff - score change?

@expatCanuck wrote:

I have a new mortgage (refi) from which my score has started to recover, and, for another month, a personal loan.  Final payment next month.

When the loan is paid off, should I anticipate a score change and, if so. which way?

Assuming your mortgage was much, much bigger than your personal loan, the payoff of the personal loan should have no effect.

But if that assumption is incorrect, in order to answer your question I would need to know the current balances and original loan amounts of all your open installment loans.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 2 of 15
expatCanuck
Super Contributor

Thanks, SJ.

Personal Loan was $15K, taken out two years ago next month (3-year loan paid off in two).

Mortgage is ~420K of which ~418 remain.

[ Last INQ 12-Feb-2024 ]
Message 3 of 15
folks19
Frequent Contributor

If that's your only non-mortgage installment loan, paying it off won't of a positive affect on your score, but you may not lose points either. It depends on other factors. If you do have other non-mortgage installment loan, than it depends on the the loan amounts and remaining balance. If, for example, you are paying off a small loan with a much larger loan amount, then that should only have a positive affect, but if the loan you're paying off is large compaired to the other, it may have a negative affect. In a nut shell.

Message 4 of 15
folks19
Frequent Contributor

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@expatCanuck wrote:

Assuming your mortgage was much, much bigger than your personal loan, the payoff of the personal loan should have no effect.

But if that assumption is incorrect, in order to answer your question I would need to know the current balances and original loan amounts of all your open installment loans.

I don't believe this is the case. I understood that mortgage loans are not calculated with other loans. By paying off yout only non-mortgage installment laon, you have 1 less active credit type, if that was the only non-mortgage installment laon.

Message 5 of 15
expatCanuck
Super Contributor

I believe this to be the case as well.

But I think that having two different credit types is sufficient/optimal for the FICO score.

In this case, I'll still have revolving credit cards and a non-revolving mortgage.

[ Last INQ 12-Feb-2024 ]
Message 6 of 15
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@expatCanuck wrote:

Thanks, SJ.

Personal Loan was $15K, taken out two years ago next month (3-year loan paid off in two).

Mortgage is ~420K of which ~418 remain.

Then I expect the payoff of the personal loan to have no effect whatsoever on your scores, or to have a minor positive effect.

Message 7 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't believe this is the case. I understood that mortgage loans are not calculated with other loans. By paying off yout only non-mortgage installment laon, you have 1 less active credit type, if that was the only non-mortgage installment laon.

I'm not sure about that. We paid off our mortgage 8 years ago and I've achieved an 850 with just one active personal loan. When that loan was paid off, my score dropped.

Message 8 of 15
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm not sure about that. We paid off our mortgage 8 years ago and I've achieved an 850 with just one active personal loan. When that loan was paid off, my score dropped.

Yes, that's what I would expect.

Message 9 of 15
800scoreplease
New Contributor

I just lost 5 points when a student loan I had was paid off. The only other loans I have are a mortgage and another student loan with a small balance. Clean thick file.

Starting Score: 727
Current Lowest Score: 820
Goal Lowest Score: 825

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.