cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please help with raising FICO score for mortgage!!

tag
GregB
Valued Contributor

Re: Please help with raising FICO score for mortgage!!

PMI is high enough that it can make it impractical to buy at all. If you don't have enough down to avoid PMI, I would try to wait and accumulate a higher down payment.

The only scores that will be used for a mortgage will be the EQ FICO sold here, a later version of the TU FICO sold here, and your EX FICO II. The EQ FICO for here is (virtually) the only score you can get online that will be one of the 3 scores used for your mortgage. They will used your middle score to qualify.

Message 11 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

OK  thanks. It won't affect my score pulling those right?

Message 12 of 17
JM-AM
Valued Contributor

Pulling your own scores never has an impact on your scores or credit.

Good Luck
May all your dreams and wishes become a reality!
Message 13 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just recently raised my score to qualify for a mortgage. My loan officer suggested I pay the balances down to 50% of the limit so I did that plus paid some off and paid the smaller accounts to 30% of the limit. My score jumped over 50 points in a month and a half. Good luck with everything!
Message 14 of 17
marty56
Super Contributor

I would also use the debt snowball approach to paying down my CC debt.  Also remember that DTI can be an issure beyond your FICO score so the less debt you have, the better your look on MR.

1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 15 of 17
Crashem
Valued Contributor

Donna, its all guesses, but I think some bad advice here. Assuming a set amount of money and short term need to get score up, here are my recommendations. First, you need to pay down any card over 80% util, 80% util or more hits your score much harder relatively. 2nd, take out those small balances to 0% as you will reduce fico hit for invididual cards with balances and sheer number of cards with balances. At this point, hard to say what to do next. I know next key number util wise is 30%, but others seem to think 50% is another key number. If you have time to experiment, try bringing one card down to 50% and see what happens and then bring it below 30% and see what happens. As for scores, your best bet is to but eq fico score from here as it is the most accurate score mortgage wise available for purchase.
               LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 16 of 17
crunching_numbers
Valued Contributor

Donna, you need to pull your EQ FICO score to see where you are actually at. Do not pay attention to the FAKO scores from the CB's.  The lender won't be looking at those numbers and there is no relationship between them and your actual FICO.  I agree with the advice about paying off the small cards and then putting the rest toward the close to maxed out card.  Will probably help your FICO the most.

Starting Score: 693 TU FICO, 679 EQ FICO
Current Score: FICO 8 = 844(9/15) EQ, 827 TU, 811 EX (7/15); mortgage FICO= 758 (9/15)EQ5, 797 TU4, 748 EX2 (7/15)
Goal Score: 750+, but shooting for the 800's
Hyatt Visa Sig ($23K), Amex BCP (24.8K), BofA Travel Rew Sig (22.5K), B&N World MC (22.3K), Amex RP Gold (NPSL w/ S&T), Cash+ Sig (20K),United Mil+ExpSig (16.3K), FNBO Visa (13.1K), Hilton Surpass (10K), Freedom Visa Sig (8.6K), Disc It (16.4K), Citi Dia Pref MC (3.7K),Sam's MC (10K), Wally (7.5K), JCP(5.3K), Costco (2K)
Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.