cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Point Gain from account reaching 1 year?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Point Gain from account reaching 1 year?

Not talking about AoYA. Have a revolving acct that will reach 1 year next month. AoYA is 10 months. Will I see a score jump just for the 1 year anniversary or just the inquiry's one year anniversary?

Curious what anyone has seen and if the benchmarks affect anything other than AoYA
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Point Gain from account reaching 1 year?

You will get the inquiry points back at 365 days. No, you should not have any point change by a revolver turning one year old if you have a younger account.

When your youngest account becomes a year old it is believed by many that you rebucket and therefore there’s a point change.
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

This is more significant when it's your only account.  When you get beyond a couple of accounts it's negligible.  The changes to underlying factors mask the impact of the slight aging of the accounts.  65% of your scores are payment / debt related... age is 15% / new credit 10%... so as the age/inq get older they have less of an impact.

In the past couple of years I've added so many accounts I don't even notice the impact of things aging at this point.  My scores swing up and down 2-10 points every month.  Even with 5 new accounts in the past couple of months.  The more accounts you have the less you notice these things happening in the background.

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I tend to agree with Birdman that a single revolver reaching 1 year in age probably would result in no scoring change.  There is however a negative reason statement that pertains to AoOA and AAoA of revolvers, not just accounts.  I see this as my number 2 negative reason statement on my TU Fico 8 score behind number of accounts with balances.  My guess is that you'd have to look past the single revolver to all revolvers in trying to determine the cause of this negative reason statement to be generated (or removed).

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
You will get the inquiry points back at 365 days. No, you should not have any point change by a revolver turning one year old if you have a younger account.

When your youngest account becomes a year old it is believed by many that you rebucket and therefore there’s a point change.

Thanks. I figured it'd be specifically the inquiry points, but wondered if I would get anything else good out of it. Trying to beg, borrow and steal points on my way to 740+ for student loan refi by September to get considerably better rates than I currently have (when my AoYA actually gets to 1 year). 

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

OP do you have any open loans? If not investigate the SSLT (share secured loan technique). Possibly bump your scores up quickly.

And yes, if it was your only account, of course it would be more significant, because then it would be equal to AoYA turning a year and you would rebucket. And if you keep accounts younger than a year, of course you’re never going to realize your points from re-bucketing, you’re staying on a new account scorecard! And yes the more cards you have, the more it buffers changes.

I have to take issue with that about aging though. It has a greater effect than one would think by those percentages quoted. Age relates to scorecard assignment and scorecard assignment directly dictates the scores that you may obtain. Therefore age has effect other than those percentages; it helps dictate the scorecard that will prescribe your score range.
Message 6 of 7
Remedios
Credit Mentor

I've never gained any points for an account reaching one year, unless it was the youngest. 

Last October I had more than 7 accounts reaching a year. No scoring changes on the 1st of the month. A few points here and there later in the month as those inq became unscorable. 

The youngest reached a year in November and there was a nice chuck of points there. 

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.