Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Raising Mortgage Scores

tag
Harvey26
Valued Contributor

Raising Mortgage Scores

I would like to raise my mortgage scores so that when I refi my home I get the best possible rate. Mortgage scores are all 712 720 range. I would love to get over 740. Any advice on this?

Amex ED: 7K, Delta Gold Amex: 7K Macys Amex: 8K , Bloomingdales Amex: 1K , BOA Premium Rewards: 50K , Best Buy Visa: 7K , Banana Republic Mastercard: 5K Target Store Card: 2K VACU Mastercard: 11.5K Discover: 25K, Penfed Platinum Rewards: 12.5K, Apple Card:3K, TD Double Up: 15K
@ 1.74
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Raising Mortgage Scores

The only real data point I know offhand (besides clearing any derogs and not applying for credit for 12 months before a mortgage app) is that mortgage scores love zero-balance accounts. The more places you don’t owe money, the better.
Message 2 of 9
AllZero
Mega Contributor

AZEO All Zero Except One as mentioned above.

Allow your HP inquiry age to 1 year (365 days). You'll regain those points if penalized originally for the pull.

Allow your AoYA Age of Youngest Account age to 1 year. You should receive around 10-20 points.

Message 3 of 9
Harvey26
Valued Contributor

@AllZero wrote:

Allow your HP inquiry age to 1 year (365 days). You'll regain those points if penalized originally for the pull.

Allow your AoYA Age of Youngest Account age to 1 year. You should receive around 10-20 points.

Will try this method! Thanks so much Smiley Happy 

Amex ED: 7K, Delta Gold Amex: 7K Macys Amex: 8K , Bloomingdales Amex: 1K , BOA Premium Rewards: 50K , Best Buy Visa: 7K , Banana Republic Mastercard: 5K Target Store Card: 2K VACU Mastercard: 11.5K Discover: 25K, Penfed Platinum Rewards: 12.5K, Apple Card:3K, TD Double Up: 15K
@ 1.74
Message 4 of 9
AllZero
Mega Contributor

@Harvey26 wrote:

@AllZero wrote:

Will try this method! Thanks so much Smiley Happy 

Good luck. Please report back on your success. Smiley Very Happy

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

We raised our scores by doing just as mentioned here. I was 720 and hubby was 690 we paid the car off and all the credit cards. We had no money for a while but it worked now we own a home and my score is now almost 800. Took around a year. Good luck! 

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would also ensure you using the correct fico score model (5,4, and 2....not FICO 8).
Message 7 of 9
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

We raised our scores by doing just as mentioned here. I was 720 and hubby was 690 we paid the car off and all the credit cards. We had no money for a while but it worked now we own a home and my score is now almost 800. Took around a year. Good luck! 

@Anonymous, Welcome to the forums & Congratulations on you're home purchaseSmiley Happy

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Seems I should wait another year then. My CC balances will not be paid off for at least 4-6 more months. Plus I tripped and fell out of the garden for a BoA app earlier this month. 

Originally wanted to have everything ready to go to start construction early spring, but I couldn't get everything to line up right. 

At first only wanted to do a remodel/addition, but couldn't find any Bank to loan less that $60K. So decided on teardown and new build.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.