cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rate shopping: Window for single inquiry?

tag
MBOhio2
Established Contributor

Rate shopping: Window for single inquiry?

I know it varies based on scoring model, but among all of the different ones (e.g. EQ, EX, TU98, TU04, etc) what is the shortest window for multiple inquiries being lumped together to only count as one inquiry? For example, am I correct that one of them only allows 14 days for this and then, anything outside of that 14 days would be an additional inquiry?

I am about to do some mortgage rate shopping, but only have a few points to spare, so I want to make sure I have all of my inquiries done within the shortest window so I only have one inquiry hit on all of the different credit score models.

Thanks in advance!

Mid-2010 Starting Scores: FAKO EQ 476 FAKO EX 506 FICO TU98 575
July 2017 Current Scores: Approx 710 (waiting for official updates)
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Rate shopping: Window for single inquiry?

I believe the shortest window under the various versions of FICO de-duping is 14 days.  It is a sliding window.

Message 2 of 5
MBOhio2
Established Contributor

Any idea if it's just one model that uses 14 days or is that the "norm"? I've heard that some use 30 or even 45 days, but I'm just trying to get a sense of how much damage I could do (i.e. how many inquiries I could get hit with and on which CRAs) if I'm forced to go beyond the 14 day window.

Message 3 of 5
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@MBOhio2 wrote:

Any idea if it's just one model that uses 14 days or is that the "norm"? I've heard that some use 30 or even 45 days, but I'm just trying to get a sense of how much damage I could do (i.e. how many inquiries I could get hit with and on which CRAs) if I'm forced to go beyond the 14 day window.

The 45 day window applies to the Equifax 5.0 version sold on myFICO and all of the FICO 8 models. It also applies to TU04. But TU98 and the EX v2 (the one we used to sell and the one most widely used) versions have the 14 day window.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 3/11 pulled by lender- 835, EQ - 2/11-816, TU - 2/11-782

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 4 of 5
MBOhio2
Established Contributor

MarineVietVet - Super helpful, thank you very much for the specific info!

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.