Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ratio of loans:revolvers

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ratio of loans:revolvers

So, I saw in a fico slide that the algorithm considers the ratio in the Mix category. 

Any info, DPs, or insights anyone? It's usually said another loan/SSL wouldn't help someone, but if one has many cards, they could be leaving points on the table, if the number of loans is less than the ideal unknown ratio. But I'm wondering if it also includes closed loans. 

Anyway big unknown. Seeking info and feedback. 

Message 1 of 46
45 REPLIES 45
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Ratio of loans:revolvers

Re: The below direct from FICO 

Main takeaway from that is someone from FICO said you should aim for 2-3 revolvers per installment. Not definitive that it helps.

In the Resilience thread, I think there was talk of the ratio being a thing for that score? Excessive revolvers to IAs bearing a penalty?

IME, I had 11 open revolver, 2 closed IA, 1 open IA; I added 3 more open IAs, no FICO 8 change.

Though, I was penalized across the other versions for too many credit accounts with balances, but that's independent of mix.

Closed accounts probably contribute to mix ratio if it exists in mainstream FICO vers.

Bust-out by Experian 

It may not be FICO, but internal algos + bust-out watch out for people with lack of or minimal installments.

Message 2 of 46
Slabenstein
Valued Contributor

Somewhat OT, but that bust-out doc is super interesting.

Message 3 of 46
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Main takeaway from that is someone from FICO said you should aim for 2-3 revolvers per installment. Not definitive that it helps.

In the Resilience thread, I think there was talk of the ratio being a thing for that score? Excessive revolvers to IAs bearing a penalty?

IME, I had 11 open revolver, 2 closed IA, 1 open IA; I added 3 more open IAs, no FICO 8 change.

Though, I was penalized across the other versions for too many credit accounts with balances, but that's independent of mix.

Closed accounts probably contribute to mix ratio if it exists in mainstream FICO vers.

Bust-out by Experian 

It may not be FICO, but internal algos + bust-out watch out for people with lack of or minimal installments.

@Anonymous wow great information thank you. I have no doubt that closed loans contribute to satisfying the portion of credit mix of simply having credit types, but I didn't know whether closed loans would also be considered in the separate metric of ratio, but based on reading those documents, I believe it does!

And I was aware if Bustout scoring, but that was a very informative white paper! on it. 

@Anonymous had more to say and hit post. Yeah that would make sense that you wouldn't see an increase because you were exceeding the ratio and we're already at the optimal prior to adding them. Also makes sense that you saw too many credit accounts with a balance rather than two many revolvers with a balance.

yeah the resiliency score definitely doesn't like a lot of cards. I had heard that ratio before but I'd never read the document and that thread. thank you

Message 4 of 46
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

So, I saw in a fico slide that the algorithm considers the ratio in the Mix category. 

Any info, DPs, or insights anyone? It's usually said another loan/SSL wouldn't help someone, but if one has many cards, they could be leaving points on the table, if the number of loans is less than the ideal unknown ratio. But I'm wondering if it also includes closed loans. 

Anyway big unknown. Seeking info and feedback. 

The resiliency score flags individuals for having more than 75% of their accounts as revolvers.

Many say the basic (re)build kit includes 3 revolvers and an installment loan, meaning 75% of accounts are revolvers and 25% of accounts are installment products.

I wonder if this holds true beyond the resiliency score and baseline credit (re)establishment?

So if one were to have 9 revolvers, you would "need" 3 installment products for maximizing scoring?

I know it seems silly to require so mamy, but I am wondering outside of fico-land/churners/sub-chasers what the average number of CCs consumers carry?

According to EX in 2019, the number is 4 CCs. 

Thinking:

1 x mortgage

1 x auto (or other type of installment)

4-6 x CCs

Or

1 x auto

1 x SL

4-6 x CCs

Does that seem reasonable? Obviously the possibilities are endless that would keep one under the 75% threshold.

I guess this theory will need to be tested further.

I know once SLs are out of rehab, I will have 12 x SLs and SO will have 7 x SLs with each SL reporting individually (some are already consolidation loans). I guess that would keep us well under the 75% threahold for some number of apps in the future.

When the resiliency score came out that got me thinking about this question as well and while 1 satisfies credit mix, maybe it does only to a certain level?

I do know from the resiliency score perspective (only thing I have concrete info on) is that closed products do not count.

Message 5 of 46
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Bust-out by Experian 

Well that throws my theory out, making my comparison to resiliency scoring worthless. It is good to know, though, that is comparing apples to oranges.

I am guessing Fico scores consider open and closed accounts while Resiliency scoring only factors open accounts.

Thx!

Message 6 of 46
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

You always find the best slides. Smiley Wink

My Credit Mix went from Fair to Very Good in the switch from 1 open loan to 1 closed loan and 2 revolving accounts (January 2019 myFICO 3B).

It's been at Very Good ever since - 2 additional revolving didn't change anything. The closed loan counts for something.

Tommy Lee (Director of Analytics Science at FICO):  "The same FICO analytics and data science team who work on developing the FICO Score also work on the analytics driving the myFICO ingredients."  (Link to his answer to my question)

Message 7 of 46
Anonymous
Not applicable

If a closed loan and open loan count equally toward credit mix (which I believe most agree it does) I don't see why a fluff rating of "fair" or "very good" would change when the loan status changes.

Message 8 of 46
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

I've been denied CLIs lately with the ratio being one of the 4 reasons.

Message 9 of 46
Slabenstein
Valued Contributor

@Brian_Earl_Spilner wrote:

I've been denied CLIs lately with the ratio being one of the 4 reasons.

What were your ratios at the times of those denials?

Message 10 of 46
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.