Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rent Reporting to Credit Beareu dropped my score :-(

tag
rhall2009
Contributor

Rent Reporting to Credit Beareu dropped my score :-(

The title is self explanatory. I didn't even know this was reporting until i went over my reports and noticed my mortgage scores had decreased. I looked over my reports as i knew what my score was after the initial inquiry and it has been 5 months since the application and bam a new installment account was listed with Re/max. I didn't want them to report and it is more beneficial for them not too. Has anyone had this happen and is it fairly easy to get them to delete the account after the lease is up? I like having positive accounts but i need all the points i can get for a mortgage in 6 more months.

8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Rent Reporting to Credit Beareu dropped my score :-(

So it reports as an installment loan?  How does it work, basically 12 months of rent is the starting balance and that goes down by 1/12 each month? 

Message 2 of 9
A1Credit
Established Contributor

I have one tradeline listed on my Experian report for a lease I had with an apartment years ago.  It just showed up recently although I have not lived or lease an apartment in over 9 years.  

***Gardening 3/29/2018 until 9/25/2018***

FICO 8 Scores: EQ~692 l TU~657 l EX~669
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

So it reports as an installment loan?  How does it work, basically 12 months of rent is the starting balance and that goes down by 1/12 each month? 

Great question, BBS.  Rhall2009, can you tell us more about the details of how it is reporting?

A few more questions:

Is the rent account appearing on all three reports?  (TU, EX, and EQ)

If so, has your mortgage score dropped at each one?  (Not FICO 8.)  When were the last two times you saw your mortgage scores?  Is there anything else that could explain the drop?  For example, do you have more credit cards showing a positive balance now than you did before?  How much of a scoring drop is it?

Do you have any other installment accounts?

If so, could you tell us the current amount owed and the original amount of the loan for each one?

Message 4 of 9
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

OP, which service are you using to monitor your reports? Is it possible that this account isn't actually reporting as an installment loan but that the monitoring service simply doesn't know where to put it?

Using one of my accounts as example, my gas/electric bill reports monthly and shows up on TU and EX. myFICO lumps this account into my revolving accounts for TU and as an installment account for EX. However, when looking at the details, in both cases the "loan type" is "unknown."

What's definitely happening is that this acocunt lowers my AAoA. Maybe AAoA and AoYA (age of youngest account) are the reasons for your score decrease.

Message 5 of 9
rhall2009
Contributor

I have about 8 installment loans between student loans and auto loans. I just pulled my scores on the 12th from here at myfico. It's only showing on my experian report which of course is my middle score. I pulled my mortage scores back in may  to track where im at scorewise. It's showing as an installment loan no high balance showing a decrease. its just saying the monthly rent amount due monthly.

Message 6 of 9
rhall2009
Contributor

Yes i noticed my AAOA has went down and i got a new reason code of too many new accounts which im assuming is another ding to my score.

Message 7 of 9
rhall2009
Contributor

as far as credit cards i just went from 2 reporting down to 1 reporting a small balance keeping me at 1% utilization. I have 7 credit cards total. My mortgage score dropped 10 points. My fico 8's are actually on the rise

Message 8 of 9
xenon3030
Valued Contributor

If it is hurting the credit score, maybe it is wisely to contact the leasing agency/buidling manger, etc. and ask them to stop reporting to credit bureaus and remove the corresponding account or contact the credit bureaus and correct the account type, if possible for them. Note that usually reporting the monthly rent to the credit bureaus should not be mandatory for them. This means that if they don't report it to the credit bureaus, it should be difficult to push them to do it.

For my prior apartment, the leasing agency was using payyourrent.com and the monthly payments were reported to EX. EX was treating this account not as a "revolving" account but as "other". Therefore, I did not see any change in my Fico8 score. Maybe adding such account would help other versions of Fico score.

Fico8: EX~EQ~TU~810 (12 month goal~840).
BOA (CCR, UCR), Chase (CFF, CSP, Amazon, CIC, CIU), US Bank (Cash+, AR, Go, Ralphs), Discover, Citi (CCC, DC, SYW), Amex (BCP, HH, Biz Gold, BBC, BBP), Affinity CR, Cap1(Walmart), Barclay View.
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.