Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Score DROPPED 24pts from hard inquiry

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Score DROPPED 24pts from hard inquiry

EQ hates me. I logged into my Fingerhut account this morning that gives you your FICO EQ score and I noticed a 24pt score decrease because of inquiries that I made last week. 24 points?!!!! I thought it'd be more like one or two. Just to verify that nothing else happened with my accounts I brought up my EQ report to possibly dispute something bogus that came through, and I noticed that nothing had changed except for these inquires being added. What gives!!!? Had I known I wouldve taken a hit like this I wouldnt have done it. However, I have two new inquires on my Experian report and that score didnt change at all. EQ is my lowest score, and I think they have it out for me. Seriously!!! Any thoughts?!

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Score DROPPED 24pts from hard inquiry

@Anonymous wrote:

EQ hates me. I logged into my Fingerhut account this morning that gives you your FICO EQ score and I noticed a 24pt score decrease because of inquiries that I made last week. 24 points?!!!! I thought it'd be more like one or two. Just to verify that nothing else happened with my accounts I brought up my EQ report to possibly dispute something bogus that came through, and I noticed that nothing had changed except for these inquires being added. What gives!!!? Had I known I wouldve taken a hit like this I wouldnt have done it. However, I have two new inquires on my Experian report and that score didnt change at all. EQ is my lowest score, and I think they have it out for me. Seriously!!! Any thoughts?!

Yes, there is something else at work, that is less than obvious. In cases like this the "nothing else changed" is almost never the case when examined more closely.

Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, I figured that there is something else there, I just can't figure it out. Its not something huge like an added collection, maybe my overall balance of my student loans increased or something. I wish that I could tell being that its a larger drop. 

Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Yes, I figured that there is something else there, I just can't figure it out. Its not something huge like an added collection, maybe my overall balance of my student loans increased or something. I wish that I could tell being that its a larger drop. 

Is your file a bit thin? particularly with current credit accounts? Thin files tend to be much more volatile...

Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Is your file a bit thin? particularly with current credit accounts? Thin files tend to be much more volatile...

I basically have 5 new credit accounts that are all reporting in good standing. 

Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I basically have 5 new credit accounts that are all reporting in good standing. 

Yeah, if all your accounts are very new (under 12 months) your scores may bounce around quite a bit, until they age a little.

Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

But I also have some old installment accounts that are in negative standing, some reaching the 7 year mark. All of my new accounts are revolvers. I guess it really just is a waiting game and I should get hung up over score fluctuations.
Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
But I also have some old installment accounts that are in negative standing, some reaching the 7 year mark. All of my new accounts are revolvers. I guess it really just is a waiting game and I should get hung up over score fluctuations.

Just concentrate on cleaning up your files and adding good history and accounts, as well as keeping UTI in control - the scores will follow.

Message 8 of 12
rmduhon
Valued Contributor

Don't stress too much about it. Swings are normal during rebuilding. Hubby lost 15 points today but I probably won't see why for a few days if at all
Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

OP, a couple of things here.  One, your thread title states "inquiry" where in your first post you say "inquries" - there's a big difference here.

What is the exact number of inquiries that landed on the bureau in question?

You also wrote that you've opened 5 new accounts recently.  How recently were each of the 5 opened?  When did each of the 5 first report to the bureaus?  "New accounts" can drop scores more than inquiries for a short period of time. 

I opened up 3 accounts over the summer on the same day and a 4th a few weeks later.  Inquiry wise it resulted in 2 on 1B and 1 on each of the other 2B.  The inquiries didn't do much to my scores as that first month they only dropped a couple of points.  The next cycle however, after the accounts started reporting my scores all took a fairly significant drop of around 20 points on average.  About half those points came back in a month, the other half the next month, and within 4-5 months of opening the 4 accounts my scores were higher than before I apped.

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.