cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Score DROPPED 75 point's with collection account removal!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Score DROPPED 75 point's with collection account removal!

I have been trying to get my credit score up. I disputed a few things and got one of my collection accounts removed and my score went DOWN 75 points! 75!!!!

**bleep**?!?!?

This was not my oldest account in collections or even one of my oldest accounts period. Can ANYONE tell me what is going on?????
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Score DROPPED 75 point's with collection account removal!

Nearly the exact same thing happened to me a while ago, but mine was in the neighborhood of 30 points, though (don't remember, exactly). I'm assuming you're talking about Vantage Scores? They seem to have bigger swings than FICO, but FICO is just as crazy. 

Some folks on here will say is was due to something else; some miniscule detail you didn't notice that just happened to coincide with the collection removal, but I don't buy it. It happens way too often with things that should cause a score increase, or no movement at all, to just be coincidental. It may only be anecdotal, but there is a poop ton of evidence of similar score schizophrenia. That's what I call it now, Score Schizophrenia. If only we could force the credit reporting agencies into therapy, we might be able to get them to act logically... 

Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Post what website you receive your credit scores from.

Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I obtained my credit scores thru credit karma and it was my Equifax report score that dropped.
Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit Karma is 100% useless for analyzing your FICO credit scores that lenders use.  Do not assume it tracks accurately with FICO scores.

You can get a free FICO score at CreditScoreCard.com (monthly).  Use that, or better yet, pay $1 to CCT for the 1 week trial to get three "real" FICO8 scores and then cancel the trial within a week.

Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Some folks on here will say is was due to something else; some miniscule detail you didn't notice that just happened to coincide with the collection removal, but I don't buy it. It happens way too often with things that should cause a score increase, or no movement at all, to just be coincidental.

The removal of a negative item will never result in a 75 point drop to a FICO score.  It's an impossibility, so "some folks on here" that tell you the score drop was due to something else are 100% correct in saying that.

As ABCD correctly points out above, the OP is referring to VantageScores, which are not FICO scores and shouldn't be considered worthwhile.  The only thing CK is good for is weekly monitoring of your TU and EQ reports.

Message 6 of 11
Thomas_Thumb
Senior Contributor

The removal of a Derog will not result in a score drop with VantageScore, CreditXpert, Experian Plus, Experian National Equivalency, Equifax internal or LN CBIS scores either.

Either something else is in play or scores are being compared using different scoring models.

Fico 9: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 8: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 4 .....:. EQ 809 TU 823 EX 830 EX Fico 98: 842
Fico 8 BC:. EQ 892 TU 900 EX 900
Fico 8 AU:. EQ 887 TU 897 EX 899
Fico 4 BC:. EQ 826 TU 858, EX Fico 98 BC: 870
Fico 4 AU:. EQ 831 TU 872, EX Fico 98 AU: 861
VS 3.0:...... EQ 835 TU 835 EX 835
CBIS: ........EQ LN Auto 940 EQ LN Home 870 TU Auto 902 TU Home 950
Message 7 of 11
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

All bets on scoring are off while a bunch of disputes are in flight for FICO, and that probably is the case for many other algorithms.

        
Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Revelate wrote:

All bets on scoring are off while a bunch of disputes are in flight for FICO, and that probably is the case for many other algorithms.

x10 THIS.

If you have a dispute active, don't trust FICO.  Don't expect lenders to necessarily trust it either (mortgage lenders won't look at your reports if there is an active dispute).

If I have a dispute running, I don't expect my FICO scores at that given time to be accurate at all.  Once that dispute is closed and resolved one way or another, you'll have a more accurate score.

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

The system is doubling up on the negatives. One for years ago when the account first went to collections with all of the 60/90/120 day lates and then many years later when we finally try to make things good and the new company reports and has the old collections dropped off. The system then tags all those 60/90/120 lates again. Its pretty messed up becuase its similar to double jeapordy or twice taxed.

Ive had nothing but positive things in the last 7 years. Other than 3 to 4 inquiries, I have had nothing but paid on time and zero balances on 2 credit cards. Everything is perfect and I was at 700 FICO on Equifax.

Well the other day I noticed a 100 point drop to Equifax! Yep 100 points. The same day that 2 old student loans were dropped from collections. The problem was that when something is "dropped" it becomes somewhat "active" for that small time as its being reported for dropping and all of those 60/90/120 lates seem to get tagged again.

problem is having someone understand and help to reverse them becuase everyone always says" that cant happen blah blah blah must be something else" well YES it can and did happen and no its not something else as my credit has been perfect for almost 10 years now.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.