Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Score Drop 2 months after opening installment accounts

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Score Drop 2 months after opening installment accounts

January 1st brought a weird score dip on EX that I was not expecting. In October 2019 I financed a new car and refi'd my student loans. Both reported the balances and updated with payments for November and December. As of today, my score droppes 14 points and I got a new reason code of "remaining balance of installment loans is too high." This is the only change.

Sort of curious why this would hurt me now, 2 payments in on each rather than at the establishment and reporting of the accounts in October? Any insights would be appreciated.
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
thornback
Senior Contributor

Re: Score Drop 2 months after opening installment accounts

Hmmm... I don't think it's because of the installment accounts (since they reported prior to Jan 1st). If this score drop occurred between Dec. 31st and Jan 1st., sounds like a "rebucketing" scenario to me - which switched up your reason codes.

Pass any aging thresholds Jan 1?
Personal Aphorism:"Forget What You Feel, Remember What You Deserve"
Starting FICO 8s | 09/2017: EX 641 ✦ EQ 634 ✦ TU 647
Current FICO 8s | 04/2022: EX 796 ✦ EQ 793 ✦ TU 790
Current FICO 9s | 04/2022: EX 790 ✦ EQ 788 ✦ TU 782
2022 Goal Score | 800s

My AAoA:
4.6 years not incl. AU / 4.9 years incl. AU
My AoOA: 9.2 years not incl. AU / 11.2 years incl. AU
Inquiries: EX 0/12 ✦ EQ 0/12 ✦ TU 0/12
Report Status: Clean
Garden Status:  

Without patience, we will learn less in life. We will see less. We will feel less. We will hear less. Ironically, rush and more usually mean less.
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't think 3 yrs 2 mo (with closed AU accts) or 1 year 11 mo (account holder ) is a threahold for AAoA. The only change on my report involved the addition of the third reason code listed above.
Message 3 of 9
thornback
Senior Contributor

Ok - so not for AAoA....

Oldest account? Youngest account? Aged derogs?
Personal Aphorism:"Forget What You Feel, Remember What You Deserve"
Starting FICO 8s | 09/2017: EX 641 ✦ EQ 634 ✦ TU 647
Current FICO 8s | 04/2022: EX 796 ✦ EQ 793 ✦ TU 790
Current FICO 9s | 04/2022: EX 790 ✦ EQ 788 ✦ TU 782
2022 Goal Score | 800s

My AAoA:
4.6 years not incl. AU / 4.9 years incl. AU
My AoOA: 9.2 years not incl. AU / 11.2 years incl. AU
Inquiries: EX 0/12 ✦ EQ 0/12 ✦ TU 0/12
Report Status: Clean
Garden Status:  

Without patience, we will learn less in life. We will see less. We will feel less. We will hear less. Ironically, rush and more usually mean less.
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
I don't think 3 yrs 2 mo (with closed AU accts) or 1 year 11 mo (account holder ) is a threahold for AAoA. The only change on my report involved the addition of the third reason code listed above.

@dberryhill AAoA is not a segmentation factor and could not result in scorecard reassignment (rebucketing). As @thornback suggested, to determine that, please provide the stats listed on my siggy. Is your file clean? We know it's thick, AoOA? AoYR (Age of youngest revolver)?

No, I doubt either of those is a threshold for AAoA. Be aware HPs for loans are buffered for 30 days, but not 60, so I'd also look for other changes as well. Last is it a FICO score?

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

The score that dropped was Fico 8. Ive searched through everything. Only thing that changed is reduction of balance on my installments. Here some more info:

AoYA: 2 months (US Bank AR)
AoOA: 5 years, 6 months
AAoA: 1 year, 11 months
util: 8%
4 inquiries in past year. The file is clean theoretically (no missed payments reason code; does not have "presence of a serious delinquency" reason code). The student loan account with my 90 day only sits on TU and EQ, where I also have a much longer AAoA.

I guess part of it could just be a lag from the new installment loan. Do they bucket you based on dollar value of installment loan? Does a refi (the closing then opening of an installment) perform differently than paying off one and opening another?
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@dberryhill OK, EX FICO 8. So on EX you are clean?

OK when did the US Bank AR hit? Can you rule it out as a potential cause? Do you know when it hit and what score change it caused?

No, you are not bucketed based on dollar amount of anything.

A re-fi is similar to opening and closing loans. The question becomes when did the old one report closed with 0 balance and when did the new one hit? But you said they all reported last year.

When you open a new loan, your individual installment utilization becomes 100%. FICO scoring is believed to consider aggregate installment utilization.

So what was your aggregate installment utilization beforehand and after it was all done?

I'm with @thornback. I think it was caused by something else. Have you went line by line and ensured no old account fell off? No revolving utilization changes?
Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just to update this: seems the cause might be from Chase finally closing my auto loan (that I paid in March 2019...but became paid in full as of end of DEC 2019...no idea why). Totally forgot it was there on my file as open.

Definitely the closing of a low util loan did that. So it goes. Just wanted to update the item as to add color to the issue. Thanks all for your help!
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Glad you figured it out!

But FICO considers aggregate installment utilization. Hadn't another loan reported?

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.