Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Score Dropped +100 points, no negs

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Score Dropped +100 points, no negs

i will try to explain what i think happened.

when you pay before the statement closing date, it will report a $0 balance to all the credit agencies. this makes it look like you never even used the card at all. chase knows you used the card, but the credit agencies don't know it.

since this was your only card, it means they think you have stopped using credit entirely, and now you don't have enough recent payment history to generate a fico score.

if you use the card and let it report a balance, you'll become scorable again. but if you don't do this immediately, it could take 6 months of payment history for you to be able to generate a whole new score from scratch.

Message 31 of 48
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous  If you've used your card at least once in the past 6 months, you're not unscorable. Not sure where that's coming from.  Chase reports even during the months when there is no activity. 

You've seen a drop on vantage score. Rest assured, Fico is not that volatile. 

If all your cards, and in your case it's one are at $0.00 balance, fico may dock you 20(ish) points. As soon as card reports a balance, points are back. 

I'm not sure where you're hitting snag with CRAs, but you're definitely scorable. 

Problem with Chase cards is that whenever balance is brought to $0.00 they re-report it. 

For example, I had a $400 balance on chase card on 10/20. Reported and updated within few days. CRA show $400.00 balance 

I paid it seven days later. Chase updates again, and it shows $0.00 balance. 

Workaround this is to make a small charge after statement cuts,  wait a few days till it posts, then pay statement balance only.

We can check easily if you have a score or not by doing a prequal for credit card. These do not impact your score 

If data is there, something should pop up for you 

So, do me a favor and try one of these 

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/credit-cards/check-for-offers/

Discover preapproval  

Again, we're not trying to get you to apply, we're just checking if data is present on at least one CRA (EX in this case) 

Message 32 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Remedios wrote:

@Anonymous  If you've used your card at least once in the past 6 months, you're not unscorable. Not sure where that's coming from.  Chase reports even during the months when there is no activity. 

You've seen a drop on vantage score. Rest assured, Fico is not that volatile. 

If all your cards, and in your case it's one are at $0.00 balance, fico may dock you 20(ish) points. As soon as card reports a balance, points are back. 

I'm not sure where you're hitting snag with CRAs, but you're definitely scorable. 

Problem with Chase cards is that whenever balance is brought to $0.00 they re-report it. 

For example, I had a $400 balance on chase card on 10/20. Reported and updated within few days. CRA show $400.00 balance 

I paid it seven days later. Chase updates again, and it shows $0.00 balance. 

Workaround this is to make a small charge after statement cuts,  wait a few days till it posts, then pay statement balance only.

We can check easily if you have a score or not by doing a prequal for credit card. These do not impact your score 

If data is there, something should pop up for you 

So, do me a favor and try one of these 

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/credit-cards/check-for-offers/

Discover preapproval  

Again, we're not trying to get you to apply, we're just checking if data is present on at least one CRA (EX in this case) 

Thanks; indicates that it has no offers available to me because my credit file is frozen;  myFico had indicated yesterday that they couldn't generate a score because my Experian file was frozen, but when I checked with Experian, they told me it wasn't.  And then today, I get what seems like a completely different explanation from Experian about why there's no information available - the current zero balance.  I'd have to check, but I'm not even sure that I have consistently had a zero balance on the reporting date for 6 straight months; I tend to want to keep my balance down, and remit payments at least once a week, but, I need to go back to Chase and verify that I've consistently been at $0.00 whenever they've reported.

Regardless, thanks for the various attempts to clarify what's been going on.  I guess I'll have to play with leaving a balance on the card around the 20th of the month for the next few months, and see if that changes anything.

Message 33 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

i will try to explain what i think happened.

when you pay before the statement closing date, it will report a $0 balance to all the credit agencies. this makes it look like you never even used the card at all. chase knows you used the card, but the credit agencies don't know it.

since this was your only card, it means they think you have stopped using credit entirely, and now you don't have enough recent payment history to generate a fico score.

if you use the card and let it report a balance, you'll become scorable again. but if you don't do this immediately, it could take 6 months of payment history for you to be able to generate a whole new score from scratch.

ok, thanks; I'll try leaving a balance for the next few months.

Message 34 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

is it possible that your experian file is simply locked, not frozen?

if you have signed up for the $1 experian trial you can look at all your reports and scores. log in and hit the button to refresh your reports. then see if you notice anything wrong, or indicating that the report is locked. even if no score is there, you can see what's on the report, and have an ability to toggle the lock on/off.

Message 35 of 48
randomguy1
Valued Contributor

I was going to suggest checking the lock above. 

Also, perhaps try freezing your credit, wait a day, then unfreeze it again. Perhaps there is a glitch that doesn't report on the front end but it's actually frozen on the back end. 

Message 36 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

tried signing up for the $20/month monitoring service, but they said they couldn't retrieve my information, and so they wouldn't charge me. Smiley Sad
Message 37 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

will try the freeze and unfreeze; thanks
Message 38 of 48
Remedios
Credit Mentor

If you came up with nothing on both, they truly cannot access your file. 

I am leaning more towards files being frozen than card not reporting, because that's impossible when it comes to Chase. 

Front line customer service reps at CRA will say the dumbest things, sometimes just to get us off the phone. 

So, you'll need to figure out how to unfreeze your reports (hopefully, you still have the pin). If not, it will have be done via mail, you'll need to provide documentation to prove your identity and then you'll be provided with instructions on how to proceed. 

Message 39 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

did you try here yet?

https://www.annualcreditreport.com 

Message 40 of 48
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.