cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Score Increase when Inquiry ages to a year?

tag
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Score Increase when Inquiry ages to a year?

@Yeliaba1 wrote:

My latest EX inquiry turned 1 yr old yesterday and saw the following increases: EX MTG 2 +6, EX AUTO 2 +5, EX BKCD 3 + 11, and EX BKCD 2 + 5.  I saw no change to FICO 8 scores.

Hey @Yeliaba1 can you tell us what the before and after scoreable inquiry counts were?

Thanks for the datapoint as well!

        
Message 11 of 38
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@ridgebackpilot wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
***Edited to add info***

Some people, myself included, believe that inquiries in general are binned. The deal with auto loan inquiries is this: I think any inquiries related to a auto loan within 45 days are counted as one under FICO 8. This is not binning in the traditional sense. Its unique to auto loans to compensate for rate shopping.

Correct; the industry term for this phenomenon is "de-duplicating" or "de-duping". The system takes into account the fact that when you're shopping for a car, you may visit several dealers, each of whom will hard-pull your credit. FICO doesn't punish you for shopping around for the best deal.

+1 for both of y'all, but to add to this it's also mortgage inquiries and student loan ones too, not just auto loans fortunately.

        
Message 12 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Rev Thanks for the additional information I always love learning from you.

@Yeliaba1 So, Since you didn’t realize any points on classic eight, that supports the belief that inquiries are binned, at least in classic 8. For instance, you may lose so many points for between three and four inquiries and then another point loss for inquiries five through seven. Under this interpretation you could take a inquiry and sometimes not lose points, and therefore when the inquiry becomes unscoreable, you would not realize points.
Message 13 of 38
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:
@Rev Thanks for the additional information I always love learning from you.

@Yeliaba1 So, Since you didn’t realize any points on classic eight, that supports the belief that inquiries are binned, at least in classic 8. For instance, you may lose so many points for between three and four inquiries and then another point loss for inquiries five through seven. Under this interpretation you could take a inquiry and sometimes not lose points, and therefore when the inquiry becomes unscoreable, you would not realize points.

Yeah now that we have better access to the suite of Experian scores which cover the gamut from FICO 98 to FICO 8 at least (no FICO 9 unfortunately) maybe we can get better information on it.

Like I know there's a concrete bin at 2 vs 3 inquiries on EQ FICO 5, but I've never gone hunting seriously for others even on FICO 8. 

I also did some old data capture but TBH I've forgotten and it isn't in my tracking file, might see if I can find it on the forums... on the flipside the most scorable inquiries on a bureau I've been at is 4, and that's not enough to hit the highest tiers of inquiry counts AFAIK.

Actually found it on the forum search function for once:

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Understanding-FICO-Scoring/Inquiry-Research-and-Datapoint-Tracking-Thread/m-p/4983776?advanced=false&collapse_discussion=true&filter=location&location=forum-board:ficoscoring&q=revelate%20inquiry&search_type=thread

I missed some updates and it got closed out in the great close old threads purge... maybe we should've exempted this forum on that haha.

        
Message 14 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes I have just realized how important it is to have a tracking file. Because when I want to go back I don’t have my notes and I don’t remember. Then I have to go back and do all the calculations all over again and I hate doing things twice. So I just went and got a dedicated notebook so from here on out I can keep notes. LOL.
Message 15 of 38
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:
Yes I have just realized how important it is to have a tracking file. Because when I want to go back I don’t have my notes and I don’t remember. Then I have to go back and do all the calculations all over again and I hate doing things twice. So I just went and got a dedicated notebook so from here on out I can keep notes. LOL.

Yeah I may need to go back through all my old forum posts and see if I can match it up as in some cases I can't really even tell what my notes were for.

The link I found there though has some inquiry binning support.

        
Message 16 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks everyone for the info Smiley Happy. While we're on the topic of losing (or not) points from an inquiry, I guess I'll ask this now...

A few months ago, I applied for an auto loan refinance. This was 6 months after I got my original auto loan, so de-duping would not have applied here. The lender pulled from Equifax. I got the hard inquiry on my Equifax credit report, as expected, but there was no score change at all. Not on any of my Fico scores. I pulled a new report the very next day, so if there was a score change, I would have seen it. For what it's worth, my vantagescore 3.0 did fall by a few points, but I was still a bit confused as to why my Fico scores didn't budge. 

Would binning have anything to do with this? 

Message 17 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

@SHJ
Would binning have anything to do with this?
Yes! That is maybe what happened! If so, you won't get points back a year later.
For DP's sake, what was your before and after INQ numbers at EQ? and do you know which scorecard you are on?
Message 18 of 38
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

It isn't a clean datapoint for scores but I had 2 inquiries going to 3 on EQ with this Citi DC approval and the only other change to Equifax over the course of the month (4/2 was the prior pull) was paying off some revolvers which shouldn't have dropped score on any FICO model.

FICO 8 Classic: dropped

FICO 5 Classic: dropped

FICO 8 Auto: dropped

FICO 5 Auto: gained; HOWEVER, "You've recently been looking for credit." is new at #4

Both Bankcard versions gained, same as above though "You've recently been looking for credit." appears on both (#3 on FICO 8 BC, #4 FICO 5 BC)

FICO 9 Classic: dropped, didn't have reason codes before but inquiry one is there now.

FICO 9 AU: gained, reason code was already there.

FICO 9 BC: dropped and inquiry reason code appeared.

There's been some debate previously on credit union inquiries but I suspect they count; Langley FCU and Verizon both from December of last year... so as to the precise boundary a bit unclear but it appears to have affected every single FICO model.  Verizon counted before years ago so I assume it does now too.

Actually the reason codes that got pushed off were:

FICO 5 AU: Missed payments (30D from just over a year ago was #4, lol)

FICO 8 AU: no long revolving history established

FICO 9 AU: Actually inquiries was #4 already on this one.

FICO 5 BC: Missed payments (30D from just over a year ago was #4, lol)

FICO 8 BC: no long revolving history established

FICO 9 BC: Actually inquiries was #4 already on this one.

Does show the relative weightings of things, missed payments factors at #1 on both FICO 8 and FICO 9 for all scores which is why I suspect a 30D late segments scorecards, where it may not on EQ FICO 5 models... recent late is still on all FICO 5 ones.

@Thomas_Thumb @Anonymous you two might find the reason code weightings and possible segmenter interesting.

        
Message 19 of 38
Yeliaba1
Frequent Contributor

@ Relevate  That was my only EX inquiry.  I went from one to zero.

@ Birdman in another post CreditguyinDixie suggested that ones FICO 8 might respond differently if you have a dirty scorecard and I believe my profile fits that mold.

Message 20 of 38
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.