cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Score drop after collection coming off wth?!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Score drop after collection coming off wth?!

I had 2 collections on my report 1 of which was not mine and the other is an old trash pick up bill I had forgotten about after I moved.

The 1 thay wasn't mine was a bill from verizon for $788. After proving to the collection company that i had AT&T during that time they agreed to remove the collection from my report. The collection came off of my report today with the other collection from my trash pick up still remaining (waiting on pay for delete confirmation letter).

After falling off however my score dropped 25 points! Wth?!? After quite a bit of research the only possible thing I can think of to cause this is maybe rebucketing. Is rebucketing really a thing? Is there any other possible reason my score would drop 25 points.

Only other option I could think about was possibly AAoA. But it didnt drop much. Went from 6 years 7 months to 6 years 2 months. I dont see how that would over power the fact a collection came off!

Any advice or insight to set my mind at ease while trying to rebuild my credit would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Re: Score drop after collection coming off wth?!

@Anonymous wrote:
I had 2 collections on my report 1 of which was not mine and the other is an old trash pick up bill I had forgotten about after I moved.

The 1 thay wasn't mine was a bill from verizon for $788. After proving to the collection company that i had AT&T during that time they agreed to remove the collection from my report. The collection came off of my report today with the other collection from my trash pick up still remaining (waiting on pay for delete confirmation letter).

After falling off however my score dropped 25 points! Wth?!? After quite a bit of research the only possible thing I can think of to cause this is maybe rebucketing. Is rebucketing really a thing? Is there any other possible reason my score would drop 25 points.

Only other option I could think about was possibly AAoA. But it didnt drop much. Went from 6 years 7 months to 6 years 2 months. I dont see how that would over power the fact a collection came off!

Any advice or insight to set my mind at ease while trying to rebuild my credit would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Hi and welcome to the forums @Anonymous 

Collection accounts are not included towards AAoA calculations when it comes to Fico scoring. 

Can you please tell us where did you see this score drop? Was it CK? 

Knowing what you use to monitor your scores and report is usually a good starting point in trying to determine what happened 

Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I use experian to monitor. I like the fact that it uses FICO scoring models rather than vantage.
Message 3 of 13
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to the board Smiley Happy

When you last derog is removed from your CR yes you are rebucketed into the group that has no derogs on file so it can result in a Fico score drop.

Message 4 of 13
BallBounces
Valued Contributor

@gdale6 wrote:

Welcome to the board Smiley Happy

When you last derog is removed from your CR yes you are rebucketed into the group that has no derogs on file so it can result in a Fico score drop.

Even if we assume that is universally true, that is not the case for the OP since they still have a collection / derog on file.

050719:     
021924:     

FICO 08 scores listed and are stagnated until multiple derogatory items expire over the next two years.
Message 5 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I do in fact have 1 collection still remaining as well as 2 chargeoffs that will be shown as paid as soon as they update (but that part has not updated yet). I started with 4 collections that weren't connected to the chargeoffs. Every other collection that came off seemed to result in a small increase in my score. This one came off and it decreased.
Message 6 of 13
BallBounces
Valued Contributor

In my opinion, it is unlikely that the decrease was related to a bucketing change.  VERY unlikely...

Would have to dive in to every detail to start making guesses, but regardless, the LAST collection or charge off to get resolved is the one that matters most, and by a very large margin.

050719:     
021924:     

FICO 08 scores listed and are stagnated until multiple derogatory items expire over the next two years.
Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't see how rebucketing could be a possiblity here.  The OPs file was (major) dirty both before/after the single collection was removed.

Message 8 of 13
Remedios
Credit Mentor

OP, look over your report and see which ones of your charge offs recently updated. The way first post is worded, makes it appear as if you only had two negatives on your report and one got removed, but that's not the case. Your thread in rebuilding mentions multiple charge offs and repo, so if any of them updated, it could account for the points loss 

Message 9 of 13
RickNATL
Established Contributor

My score dropped some years back for the same reason....but shortly over time, the score more than bounced back.  Be patient....

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.