cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Score dropped 5 pts because of a 181 balance on my BoA card that HASN'T reported a statement

tag
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Re: Score dropped 5 pts because of a 181 balance on my BoA card that HASN'T reported a statement

@jimmycreates wrote:

I'm advising of my personal  experience with BOA.  And, I didn't request your so-called invalid dispute with BOA - I merely called them and stated BOS reported my balance at an unusual time, and this adversely affected my credit score. I explained I was shopping for a mortgage and asked whether they would update my balance.  BOA chose to initiate the dispute based upon this request.   

And, at the time, the balance was reporting inaccurately, and was showing an account that is normally paid in full, as almost maxed out.   I find nothing wrong with this scenario, and hope my experience helps someone else.  I think that is a fair use of this community board.  

Lenders will initiate the dispute process when a consumer notifies them that there is an error reporting on the CB.  

In his case, OP stated his balance was correct although reported earlier than expected.  This is not a valid dispute

Message 11 of 15
jimmycreates

Re: Score dropped 5 pts because of a 181 balance on my BoA card that HASN'T reported a statement

But, if the poster paid his balance in full, and THEN contacted BOA, this would be the same EXACT experience.  I clearly stated, that I paid my balance in full, and then requested that BOA update my credit report. BOA selected the dispute method, as the appropriate manner of resolution. Why is that invalid? 

I understand the need to not abuse the dispute process, however, we should also know when it can assist in correct creditor errors. No? 

Message 12 of 15
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

I think there's a bit of confusion here (including my own):

Disputing accurate information on one's credit report is not ethical and is against our TOS.

That said, calling a lender to complain and the lender choosing to open a dispute is different at least in my opinion than a consumer initiated dispute to an accurately reported mid-cycle update.

Unfortunately in a mortgage process this is the last thing you want to have happen: a dispute or even dispute comment must be removed for almost any mortgage underwriting that I am familiar with: this can delay things. Disputes / comments will get thrown out by Desktop Underwriter.

The "proper" way to address something like this is to ask the mortgage lender to do a Rapid Rescore though this does cost a nominal fee to process.

BOFA is known to do this unfortunately, but with few exceptions such as a mortgage process it doesn't matter much.

        
Message 13 of 15
jimmycreates

Thank you, I think you really clarified all of this for us.  

Since I had not yet applied for my pre-approval, it was important for me to get my credit score back up prior to a lendor running my credit report.  If you can avoid using a dispute prior to your application, that is a wise decision. Ultimately, for me, it proved helpful. 

And, once the creditor initiatied dispute gave me the results I was looking for, I contacted BOA again, and requested that they close the dispute.  BOA was happy to do this, and gave my request a priority processing.  The dispute was closed within two business days, and my balance was updated. 

BTW - I did get my pre-approval, and am shopping for homes now.  

Message 14 of 15
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

@jimmycreates wrote:

Thank you, I think you really clarified all of this for us.  

Since I had not yet applied for my pre-approval, it was important for me to get my credit score back up prior to a lendor running my credit report.  If you can avoid using a dispute prior to your application, that is a wise decision. Ultimately, for me, it proved helpful. 

And, once the creditor initiatied dispute gave me the results I was looking for, I contacted BOA again, and requested that they close the dispute.  BOA was happy to do this, and gave my request a priority processing.  The dispute was closed within two business days, and my balance was updated. 

BTW - I did get my pre-approval, and am shopping for homes now.  

Awesome!  Best of luck to you!

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.