cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Score dropped after balance transfer due to accounts not being updated?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Score dropped after balance transfer due to accounts not being updated?

So I've started monitoring my Fico/Credit scores more closely and I compelted a balance trasnfer on 2 of my CC's with medium sized balances onto one of my 3rd ones that had a 0% interest for 15 months.

I logged in today to find my score dropped like 30-35 points because my credit utilization spiked from 28% to 56%. Basically the credit card I transfered the balance to was updated but the two CC's that were paid off haven't updated so to them it looks like I double my credit. I'm assuming that is why my scores dropped.

I know that eventually the CC's will report the updated balances but doesn't seem right my score dropped over that.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
calyx
Super Contributor

Re: Score dropped after balance transfer due to accounts not being updated?

@Anonymous wrote:

So I've started monitoring my Fico/Credit scores more closely and I compelted a balance trasnfer on 2 of my CC's with medium sized balances onto one of my 3rd ones that had a 0% interest for 15 months.

I logged in today to find my score dropped like 30-35 points because my credit utilization spiked from 28% to 56%. Basically the credit card I transfered the balance to was updated but the two CC's that were paid off haven't updated so to them it looks like I double my credit. I'm assuming that is why my scores dropped.

I know that eventually the CC's will report the updated balances but doesn't seem right my score dropped over that.

Utilization is a snapshot and that ding should largely disappear when your balances do update.

It might not feel "right" to you, but however it is FICO calculates is not personal, and it does not know what is going on with your balances, it just sees that higher utilization at that moment.  

Happy practitioner of AZE7or8or9or10 | Team Finances > FICO
Message 2 of 3
Kree
Established Contributor

Re: Score dropped after balance transfer due to accounts not being updated?

@Anonymous wrote:

If you have an immediate need for a higher credit score you might be able to ask the two CCs that you paid off to report "out of cycle". Some CC issuers do this automatically, others will do it by request, and some will say they cannot do so. I am not aware of a list telling you which is which, but contacting customer service can't hurt.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.